• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom H1 rims, or aluminum/steel rims????

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
Current setup Healthy 302 estimated 345hp/700R4/dana 20/dana 44 & 9inch with stock gearing/ 33x13.5 SSR. Current lift is 3 inch suspension and 1 inch body. I have done a load of searching here for info as well. Looking for opinions. I haven't off road in a long time, but want to in the future. I like trails and some rocks.

Always want to upgrade to 37 inch tires and base my build of tire selection. With my Military retirement not to far of and returning to PA, 5 37 inch tires seem to be to expensive for me to repurchase way down the line if I go with them now, unless I go with H1 rims because Goodyear Tire Radial 37x12.50R16.5 are 1/2 the price. SO your probably wonder what my question?

Recenter H1 rims & tire are an expensive up from purchase, but my worries is:
1.To heavy for stock setup even after re gearing. (not so heavy on the gas when wheeling)
2. lift to small even with fender wells cut open.
3. will the rims past PA safety inspection. (willing to swap out different rims for inspection purposes)
I did a lot of looking into PA lift laws/vehicle inspection and only found that tires need to be inside the fender with no wider then 3 inch fender flares. There was no real info about rims other then them being safe, not cracked or bent.

Other option is to purchase 15 inch rims from desert rat and stick with 33 KM2 or go up to 35's. I'm pretty positive 35 will fit my set up and I would re gear to 4.11 or 4.56 and I want to get locker eventually as well. Here are the pics of the rims i may go with from desert rat: 1st pic is Desert Rattler Tracker II Black aluminum, 2nd pic Satin Black Mountain Crawler Beadlock Wheels steel (bead lock simulated)
Reasoning to stick with 15inch rims, because tires for 17 inch rims are over $100 more, but how often do you change out your tires? To many decisions going thru my head just on tires and rims! So lets say KM2 last 50,000 miles and only do 10,000 miles a year, would purchasing 17 inch rims and 35or 37 tires ever 5 years be worth it?

Sorry for some much info and thanks for your responses!!

Attachments

• Desert Rattler Tracker II Black.jpg
    Desert Rattler Tracker II Black.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Satin Black Beadlock Mountain Crawler.jpg
    Satin Black Beadlock Mountain Crawler.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
I would stick with 15's.Tire options are limited on the 16.5.You would be suprised where you can go on a set of 35's with the lift you have.As far as rins go there is always a set for sale on here far below retail and if you want black and cant find them,paint em.Now if you can find a set of H1's already recentered with tires for the right price that would be ok,but you may be looking at needing more lift ,gears or trimming and that =$$$.Hope this helps and thanks for your service.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would do 17s. The tire options for 15" rims are quickly dying. The only thing worse then 15s for tire options are the 16.5s.

dunacn1

Loc.
Holland, PA
I wouldn't worry about the PA inspection stuff, you find the right inspection station and it'll pass.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Another in support of aluminum rims. The weight difference can be surprising.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
A 15" tire is considerably less expensive than it's 16.5/17"counterparts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A 15" tire is considerably less expensive than it's 16.5/17"counterparts.

Last shopping I did the 17" tire was very comparable to the 15" in price. But the 15" was a lot more limited in options, and getting even more limited every year. If getting tires and wheels going 17 will get you a lot more options for tires, and probably an even better choice later when you get the next set of tires.

I don't even look at 16.5 tires anymore.

OP
OP
weasel

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
A set of 5 rims and tires:
not including shipping
15 inch Aluminum rims 3.75 back spacing, 35X12.50R15, $1645.50
17 inch Aluminum rims 4.5 back spacing, 35X12.50R17, $2304.27
17 inch Aluminum rims 4.5 back spacing, 37x12.50R17, $2666.85
Custom center H1 bead locks with tires, $2359.50

The 17 inch rims are only 8.5 wide and 4.5 back spacing, that seems to be way to much back spacing?

Thanks for all the replies so far!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
weasel

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
Thanx Sabas! That's were my above price came from and my worry of them being to heavy for the stock axles even if i change gearing.

Are you running running the 9 inch and dana 44 with your H1 rims and what lift are you running on your rig? What gearing? You have a sweet ride!

Sabas

Yes, still running ford 9 n dana 44 combo, 4.56 gears w detroits, ford 9 has 35 spline axles and dana 44 has chromoly axles and super joints. I am running a 2" bodylift & 3" suspension lift-wild horses. I also have a longer wheelbase as I moved front forward and rear back.

Sabas

Sabas

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Early October at the swap meet my friend bought 6/H-1 rims for $180. Picking them up was OMG, but they look like there made of 1/4" steel so I'm sure they can take a lot of hard knocks.

Last weekend I was at his place he had the new centers (6 lug toyota) O-rings and flanged nuts, that was $275. Next step is have the old centers cut out and at that point set them up to get the exact back set, weld-em up. He has the tires almost new $400. The deals are out there. And yes they are heavy.

The best part about the H-1 rims are custom back spacing, nothing off the rack about these.

His reason for going H-1/37" goodyears is because the tires are so cheap. Around hear used military take off with 80+% tread are around $500-600 set.