• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom Radiator?

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Anyone added a larger radiator to their Bronco? I am out of ideas on how to keep my truck from overheating and am willing to try and install a larger radiator to see if it will help. Has anyone done this or can recommend a radiator that has fit.

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Here's what I've got:

302 (newly built, less than 3k miles)
289 Heads
195 Thermostat
Be Cool All Aluminum Radiator
70% water/30% coolant (estimate)
Water Wetter
14" Electric Fan as a pusher in front of the radiator
Transmission cooler with electric fan separate from radiator.
Hood Scoop

Thanks for the help.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Contact Chuck at BCBroncos. (site sponsor) He sells a 4 pass radiator that has more cooling tubes and metal fins than anyone else. What engine are you running. 71 sport has good questions to be answered. He must be running a 408 c.i small block. Am I right 71 sport?? That should be a 351 .030 over running a 400 crank. What else 71 sport? I'm currently working on a 416 maybe even doing a Boss to it. Clevo heads. But if I have as much problem cooling it as I do my stock .040 351 Windsor I don't know if I'd even think about putting it in the Bronco. Time will tell

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
C2computer from the list of already done stuff it sounds like you've got it covered. Maybe you need to drive it on the highway an break it in.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Well I think I have broken it in, I have a few thousand on it. I just think the radiator is too small to cool the engine. The engine was built with performance in mind so I think it runs warmer than most.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Call and talk to Chuck at BCBRoncos. He usually there after 4:30 He's a site sponsor and a heck of a nice guy. Pretty smart too. I don't have my heating problem under control yet.
Good Luck

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Here are some long shots, but maybe worth considering...

Many have had troubles with electric fans and have gone back to mechanical fans. I believe Chuck at BC Broncos is among them. I have only a 5 blade mechanical fan with a stock fan shroud on an OEM-spec Modine radiator in front of my SEFI 5.0 w/ 195 thermostat. It never overheats, crawling, in stop n' go summer traffic, nothing. I have about 1.5" of clearance between fan & radiator.

I've heard of some getting much better cooling by giving air a place to go- like removing inner fenderwells (or making holes in them), body lift, etc.

Venting extra air out of the engine compartment can be a good thing. The opposite may not be true. The hood scoop may be hindering more than helping if it's pressurizing the engine compartment a bit. Fans aren't positive displacement devices. They are extremely sensitive to small blockages, including a change in pressure. You might try sealing off the scoop with some tape as an experiment.

More tubes in the radiator aren't necessarily better. If air can't get through the radiator because the path is too restrictive then the tubes hinder instead of help. Chuck's copper radiator has three rows (not 4) partly because of this.

A fan shroud is critical with a mechanical fan if cooling is marginal. A fan can just as easily pull air from between itself and the radiator as through the radiator.

Hope some of that helps....

adidas

Bronco Guru
Loc.
arizona
make sure your water pump is working. and i had this ordeal over the summer so i dropped in the big aluminum radiator from jeffs... granted ive had to repair it due to a flex fan incident but it still never gets over 210 no matter how much im idling in the 98 degree weather. this is with an economy fan that doesnt pull as much air, no thermestat, a fan shrowd, and a 302 w/ 260k miles on it.

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
Yep Bart I do have a stroked 351. I built it using all probe industries parts. You'll love your motor. I am running an alluminum radiator from Jeff's a high flow pump and a high flow 160 thermostat. I opted for a mechanical fan and shroud since I couldn't get an electric fan that would flow enough cfm and fit. I have absolutely no cooling problems. Are you running the 14 inch pusher only? May not be enough. How is your timing also?

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I'm running a 17" mechanical fan and a 14" electric.
How do you rate the High flow water pump? Is it helpful in cooling?

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Well if I didn't have the electric I would overheat fairly quickly. The water pump is new, its a FlowKooler, works great I think. I flushed the system the other day, the thermostat worked just like it should, the water came out, new water in, temp dropped from 195-200 to 180 or so just like it should.

I do have a shroud, and a mechanical fan. I have a high pitch Flex Light racing fan. Like I said, I have tried mostly everything.

When you say the big aluminum from Jeffs, how much bigger is it?

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
az_adidas said:

if it never gets cold where you live you could just take the thermestat out... now thats a high flow thermostat. ;D

it'll never heat up if you take the t-stat out. burrrrrrrrr . If you like a little heater action leave it in.

OP
OP
c2computer

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
How do you figure taking out the thermostat will help? To me this would just let the water circulate around and never allow it to sit in the radiator to cool down? I live in So Cal, and it is 94 outside right now and it doesn't get very cold here.

I have never tried this, do you think it is worth a try?

70bucks

Loc.
Valley Center SOCAL
I'm in SOCAL too, San Diego area. All the oval track guys tried that here and ended up adding what looked loke big washers that would restrict the flow enough, so that it would stay in the radiator long enough to dissipate some heat. A high flow thermostat gets you the flow, and still alows you to warm up. Windsors are supposed to get real bad hot spots if you run them at less than 180. JM2c