• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting down fender flares

EBGeek

Has anyone ever attempted to cut down fender flares, to lessen the amount of fender clearance? I've got a set of Gorilla Warflares, but they look like total overkill in the 'metal removal' department. As you can see from my tire selection, uncut isn't an option for me. But I also don't want to hack more than I have to.

I'm thinking about cutting them down (to lower them on the fender) and using a heat gun to mold a new body lip on the rear fenders. Am I alone here?

This is the flares as designed:
20151010_081303_zpsmzwxgtql.jpg

Here is more along the lines of what I'm hoping to cut:
20151010_081947_zps4tozbhld.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
With the Gorilla Warflares you're starting off with the biggest flares out there - designed for getting a BIG opening! So I'd start with some smaller ones. But best for the look you're going for might be to weld in some cut outs from front fenders. They will blend into the rear lower body line better. It will take some welding skill, but not too bad.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Well, it looks like I didn't do enough homework...I wasn't we aware the Warflares were any bigger than the others. My ultimate intent would be to do something like you're saying and attempt a semi-factory look, similar to what Bax did. Guess I might just opt for a cut with no flares until it's time to do the body work.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I've got mine mounted 1" to 1 1/2" lower than your top photo - probably still not low enough for you - but better.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
It might be easier modify a set of old school fiberglass style fender flares ( Broncodesign sells one version). Also just to be the first to ask, are you really really sure you want to cut it?

Rockmnky

Before I raised up my flares I wanted to do the same thing. I was going to line up the body line at the back and cut out a section above that and splice it back together with a plastic welder . Haven't tried using the welder on this plastic yet but I think it would work and give you a finished look. Good luck !!

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

@SHX, did you have any issues cutting the excess at the bottom of the fender?

@Hyghlnder, the uncut look has grown on me, but with my 12.50's, my fenders would get a 'readjustment' on my first speed bump. If there was a way around it, I'd leave it.

jamesf7278

Loc.
Salmon Arm B.C
you might just want to go with the broncodesign flares. If you go too small on the rear opening with the warflares are you going to do the same with the fronts? might be hard to fit without tire rub up front. heres what warflares look like on a old pic of mine, looks like we got roughly same lift size and tire size to give you a idea, they are definitely a big cut out.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I wouldn't cut, I'd save the quarter panel & find a replacement for it. That way you can always go back.

If I wanted bigger wheel arches, I'd hunt down something like this:

blue-bronco.jpg

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Agreed, Sykanr0ng. Bferrari, that's precisely the look I'd like to have, but after a year of my rig being torn down, I'm ready to get some drive time in. I'll hang onto these pictures and will add that to my list of body items when the time comes.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond!

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

For what its worth, I ended up just tracing the warflares lower on my fenders and using it as a template for cutting. I opted to just leave the flares off, as I didn't want to have to fool with modifying them, or cutting enough to make them fit.

Once its time to start my body work for painting, I'll reassess and hopefully get the Bax-style grafted flares that I've seen posted here.

20151013_154419_zpsvfcbrxed.jpg

Piglet

looks good! if you decide to sell those warflares, i'd be interested.