• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting Inner Fenders for 35s

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Hello,

I have read a few times that people cut their inner fenders when installing 35" or larger tires. Can someone explain what areas they are cutting? Is it on the front inner fender on the back side of where the tire can hit the thin piece of steel, or in other areas as well?

Aside from the exterior fenders, what other areas typically have to be cut? Pictures would be great if anyone has them.

Note - I am planning to install 35's.

Thanks,

Eric

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not only for 35's, I had to trim mine with 32's when I ran them with a stock height suspension.
When we're talking about that trimming, it's "usually" the front fender's trailing edge, just inside the fender itself.
It's the inner fender skirt or apron that doubles as the side wall of the engine compartment and the wheel well/house itself. If you continue rearward along the same metal, it becomes the kick panel in the cabin.
In other words, it's the part that rusts! But below the usual rust areas, and visible through the wheel well opening.

You'll see the specific part of it as just extra metal hanging out over the pinch weld on the trailing edge of the wheel well.

Good luck finding it with that description!%)

Paul

RT

Bronco Guru
Don't forget the 3lb hammer ! Custom metal shaping is also sometimes required. You'll recognize the areas as they'll be way cleaner than the rest ;D

OP
OP
E

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info - front inner fender back towards the firewall it is.

I'll try my best to avoid the 3lb hammer... I am regretting when I did that for the old vacuum booster. Wish I went hydroboost from day one.

Eric

DaveLev

I have 33's with no body lift and old saggy 2.5" aftermarket lift (unsure who - rancho, superlift, who knows). The 33x12.5x15 tires will hit the front of the wheel wells on the bottom corner of the fender. Kind of hard to explain. About 8" behind the front bumper, not on the 'curve' of the fender lip, but rather if you follow that arc/curve in the fender where your wheel sits to the front of the opening towards the front of the vehicle, when it returns to a flat section at the bottom that is where the fender is currently bent inward on one side and has been cut on the other. You don't notice it from the side or front, only when under the vehicle looking up towards the wheel well at the front of the vehicle. Hope that helps. If you *need* photo I can take one, but I think you get it.