• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting out a tailgate section to a fiberglass tub

luckieschmuck

Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
Hey guys,

Ok so I have an older fiberglass tub and it does not have a cut out for a tailgate it was made as a solid inclosure. Meaning it's solid right around the rear of the tub. I was wondering if anyone has bought this older tub in the past and cut out a tailgate section and thus installed a gate. Is it possible to create fiberglass walls in order to install hinges and so forth..

Last edited:

ponyracer

Loc.
Crestview, Fl, 32539
You mean a tailgate? Anything is possible, will never be as strong as a metal tub though.

Buy a tailgate, cut your tub, glass in some vertical braces for the pivot and latch, maybe some OEM stuff?

Going to be alot of work for what you gain, not to mention if you cut your tub you may end up with the sides of your bronco turning into "wings" if you ever take the top off. Your tub gets side support by being tied in across the back, you remove the back and it's hard telling what will happen.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The new glass bodys have the tailgate opening but im not sure what your rear quarters will do if you cut the opening out. Like said they may lean out which can be fixed by bracing to a rear rool cage. You could easly glass in the pieces needed for the hinges, supports, and latch catches to bolt to. Glass is fairly easy to work with but is a bit messy. Remember a new tailgate is over 400 bucks and the hardware and seals is another few hundred bucks. Add in your time and the possibility of completly destroying the tub and it may be cheeper to buy a new tub with the opening already and sell the tub you have.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
another thing to do, check it, nice and slow, it could be that a PO decided to fill the gap and you may already have a tailgate there.

OP
OP
luckieschmuck

luckieschmuck

Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
Yes sorry, it was late in the morning when i wrote this. Tailgate is what I meant thank u for correcting me. I'll do my best to take some photos. The hard top is still on and well see what I can work with. I dont have a space to pull things apart yet.. Thank u

OP
OP
luckieschmuck

luckieschmuck

Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
Ok, so I paid the money to upload pictures. I'm cheap when it comes to other things than my EB. Plus, I'm helping the site out. :cool:
Anyway, I corrected my typo's so people understand what the hell I'm talking about. I took a couple of pictures of the back of my truck and also 1 pic underneath the body to see how thick the glass was or if it could be done. I think I may be leaning towards the idea of buying another tub.. although this may be an issue.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-14200-bronco-body-tub.html
Don't think I can afford that...or that
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Extreme_Fiberglass_Tub_Only/Bronco_Fiberglass_Body_Parts
Then again I could save my money for about 3 years..LOL

So, from what it looks like underneath, it does look very flimsy from that last pic. I do have a feeling that I will be flapping in the wind. It does look like it would lose all strength and the structure could be weakened from the possible cut ..

Anyway have a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

just wanna say the support here is awesome. I'm new here but, already feel very welcome from all of you. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Lookes like an older body for sure. Id think putting a tailgate in will not be worth the effort. What you have does look nice and clean though! I like the big white ford letters! maybe just run what you brung! If after a few more months of driving around you decide you cant live without a tailgate then just buy another bronco with one in it;)! Good luck.

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
You could prob sell the tub to some one who has a trail rig, post it up and see what you can get. I definatly would not cut it, you will run into trouble