• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cutting the front end off

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I am working on a 1966 Bronco that had an inline 6. I had a decent 302/np 435 setup that I want to drop into instead. Additionally, I need to:
  1. fix typical inner fender rust holes - kick panels are minimally effect so I wasn't going to remove those guys
  2. remove ms box and mount ps gear box
  3. mount v8 engine mounts . I want to do this by mounting the complete engine/tranny/tc case at the tc cross member and accurately place the front mounts
From that I started looking at my options for tub removal and lifting a complete engine driveline into the bronco along with the height of my garage ceiling. All things considered, if I could rove the inner front clip, I could easily get this all accomplished. With that, I started looking at broncos with tilt front ends and I thought "why not cut the front off, complete the tasks, and re-weld everything back together when I'm done.

Ever been done? Could it work? I've been looking the whole thing over and it looks very doable. I patch body panels by welding in all the time

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
There is about 3/4" adjustment in the T/C crossbar so I don't think you can use the phrase 'accurately'. If you get it too far back the rocker covers will hit the firewall. The new motor towers will come with a sheet telling you where to place them, I think it's 10" from the front cross member. When you first place the towers just tack them in then test fit the motor. I failed to do this and had to make my own motor mounts to get it lower, the towers were too close together and raised the motor an inch and couldn't get the stud on the mounts to go through the holes.

Steering box should be pretty straight forward, depending which one you choose, most require some welding or drilling holes, but there are usually a couple holes that work.

Jim W.

OP
OP
Waverous

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Thanks for the response, but I wanted to know if anyone has cut the front end off and re-welded back on

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the response, but I wanted to know if anyone has cut the front end off and re-welded back on

Can't say I've seen/heard/read about anyone doing that, but it seems a tad bit excessive to me considering what you're wanting to achieve. I guess I just don't understand how would that save you any significant time or effort in the end. If I'm going through the effort to cut the frame, I'm stretching it at the same time.

OP
OP
Waverous

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
OK, I might not have made this too clear - I am cutting off the front sheetmetal at about the cowl line and removing the inner fenders and core support. So instead of one piece tub, I will have the front section - similar to the tilt front end broncos and the reminder of the tub. This will expose the frame so I can to my mods and i won't have to lift the entire drive line up and over the core support and wiggle it into the engine compartment. The two pieces would make it easier fro me to get sand blasted since I do not have a rotisserie

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Lots of folks have cut off the inner fenders and core support and then tubed the front end when going back together. Good mod.

EDIT - Damn iPhone auto correct. TUBED the front end!!!! Not tuned! i.e. - made the core support and connection to the tub out of tubing.

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That makes more sense...several good threads for tubed front clips. My personal favorite is one done by Crab's fabricator here a few years back, although there have been a few pre-runner style ones done by West Coast Broncos and a few others as well.

crab

Bronco Guru
One of my favorite as well;)

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 56

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Yes you can do this fairly easy. Take off the front fenders, drill the spot welds on the inner fender right in front of the cowl/firewall. This is the square area where the inner front quarter and kick panel overlap.
Then drill the spot welds attaching the inner fender to the front lip of the kick panel.
Finally, cut the brace or drill spot welds on the inner fender to firewall brace. It's about 50 spot welds.
Of course you'll have to weld it back together later.