• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cylinder heads question.

Slow_bronco

Hi there, new member on the forum, so please bear with me

I have a question about a 2 different sets of cylinder heads for my bronco. I'm curious about the differences between the factory c8 heads from my bronco and a set of e7s that I have laying in my garage from an engine I bought for my mustang. Keep in mind the c8s are all original fomoco pieces from the factory and need to be pressure tested and rebuilt (cylinder 8 was full of antifreeze when I pulled the head, as well as corrosion/build up from burning of coolant on combustion chamber and valves on head) and the e7s have less than 1000 miles on them from a rebuild (bought the motor out of a wrecked 95 cobra that had a recent rebuild. If there is no huge differences other than the obvious differences in combustion chamber and rocker arms that I can see, then has anyone run these heads on a early 302 and were there any further modifications needed such as push rod length and so on.

Thanks in advance!

BroncoSnake

If they are the stock '95 Cobra heads, they are GT40 heads. Should have three bars on the end of the heads. I would recommend always measuring to find the correct pushrod length, but don't know of any mods needed.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a different pushrod length when the rockers changed from cast to stamped. And a huge difference when they went to a roller cam (but that is irrelevant here).
If you go through the old parts books (when they really were published books) there were all kinds of minor differences in all the pushrod lengths in 302s over the years. There are also minor differences in deck height as well.

All that adds up to needing to measure your actual needs. The heads should work fine. Plug the thermactor ports that you probably won't be using.

Someone with the book more handy then I will probably come up with the cc change in the heads and tell you how much you are gaining or loosing in compression ratio.

But no reason the heads won't work.

yfz450sew

You will likely need lighter springs on the gt40 heads if you are still running a flat tappet cam in your early motor.