• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 Front output problem

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
O.K. , I followed all the instructions I could find. Set the end play at the shaft, assembled everything back together. Once I put the front yoke on and torque it down I can no longer rotate the shaft by hand. It take a ratchet and socket to rotate it now. Have I done something wrong?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Yes, you should be able to turn it freely. Sounds like not enough end play. Is it easy to turn before you put the yoke and seal on? If it's only tight after you put the seal and yoke in it could be the wrong seal.

OP
OP
bbow

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Turns freely with the seal in. Only become tight after I install the yoke. I have adjusted the shims 10 ways to Sunday and it does not change.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Turns freely with the seal in. Only become tight after I install the yoke. I have adjusted the shims 10 ways to Sunday and it does not change.
Not quite sure how you can set the end play without torquing the yoke each time you make an adjustment. Try taking out all the shims, torque the yoke and see if it still binds. Start from there.

Is this a t-shift or j-shift?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The J shaft has a large spacer between the front gear and front bearing and a small spacer between the front bearing and yoke.

OP
OP
bbow

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
I remember installing the large spacer but my diagram didn't show a small spacer. Using the old T-shift diagram.

OP
OP
bbow

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Not quite sure how you can set the end play without torquing the yoke each time you make an adjustment. Try taking out all the shims, torque the yoke and see if it still binds. Start from there.

Is this a t-shift or j-shift?

It's a j-shift. Already pulled the rear cap off and removed all the shims. It will not turn with the rear cap completely removed. I'm know I installed the big spacer between the gear and the bearing but Viper mentioned a small spacer between the front bearing and the Yoke. I can't find any diagram showing this front spacer. It would make sense as I think the Yoke is bottoming out against the front of the bearing.

70_Steve

Old Guy
It's a j-shift. Already pulled the rear cap off and removed all the shims. It will not turn with the rear cap completely removed. I'm know I installed the big spacer between the gear and the bearing but Viper mentioned a small spacer between the front bearing and the Yoke. I can't find any diagram showing this front spacer. It would make sense as I think the Yoke is bottoming out against the front of the bearing.
Here's a picture (I got from Viperwolf1) of the j-shift front output shaft assy. showing the two spacers.

Attachments

• J-shift Output Shaft.jpg
    J-shift Output Shaft.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 43

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Without that small spacer the yoke shield gets driven into the front bearing retainer.

Here's a pic of the spacers.

Attachments

• Bronco 094.jpg
    Bronco 094.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: