• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 front output yoke/bearing?

berdeman

When reassybling T case for Tera low gears I ran into a issue installing front output shaft "front bearing". When using Front yoke to push bearing onto shaft the yoke bottomed out againts the shaft splines before bearing seated against C-clip (about 1/4" between bearing and C-clip. Has anyone ran into this before? Do I possibly have a J-shit yoke and need a spacer between yoke and bearing? I have seen pictures posted with 1/4" of shaft splines past face of bearing, is this space exeptable between yoke and bearing?

Thanks in advance!!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
On a T style case the yoke does bottom on the shaft splines. There should be a spacer between the gear and the c-clip though. T and J yokes are the same unless it's an old BW yoke.

OP
OP
B

berdeman

Wolf, thanks for the answer. I do have the washer between gear and C-clip, was just wondering on yoke bottoming to shaft splines. It seemed weird.

Thanks again!

70_Steve

Old Guy
was just wondering on yoke bottoming to shaft splines. It seemed weird.
I wondered about it too. Wondered why my yoke kept working loose. Then realized that the marks on the end of the yoke, made by the splines, kept getting deeper. Installed a J-shift front output shaft and have not had any more problems.

OP
OP
B

berdeman

[QUOTE Installed a J-shift front output shaft and have not had any more problems.[/QUOTE]

Dang it. I was thinking I should of stoped and done the same thing. I also don't know if I like the idea of just the c-clip holding the shaft from pushing out the front of the case (maybe this is why they are set up with end play rather than preload which would/should be the case with tappered roller bearings)