• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 Rear Output bearings

Rocko1012

Need help on putting roller bearings back in output shaft. How far do they go in. do they ride on first part of shaft or second. See pictures.
Advice needed. should i have install adapter to transfer before installing to transmission?

Attachments

• output shaft Bearings.jpg
    output shaft Bearings.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 25
  • InkedTRCTCASEDIAGRAM_LI.jpg
    InkedTRCTCASEDIAGRAM_LI.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 45
  • TRCTCASEDIAGRAM.jpg
    TRCTCASEDIAGRAM.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 27

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Need help on putting roller bearings back in output shaft. How far do they go in. do they ride on first part of shaft or second. See pictures.
Advice needed. should i have install adapter to transfer before installing to transmission?

This picture is a little blurry but you can still see the shinier section where they were riding so I'll say all the way in.

Attachments

• 2019-01-30 09.08.35.jpg
    2019-01-30 09.08.35.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Bearings

That's a good picture of shaft. It has multiple ridges (lips)inside. I tried all the way in shaft installing all bearings, but the last one would not seat all the way in. I put bearings in freezer to shrink metal, and will try when garage warms up. Thursday? I know its not rocket science to get install. but its a pain in butt.

Thanks for your reply, Will let you know how it works out.

Ron

Attachments

• InkedShaft_LI.jpg
    InkedShaft_LI.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You just have to slide the last in from the end. It won't fit from the side.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
The three holes in the back of the pocket for the 13 bearings are the oil supply holes for the rear output bearings. Use petroleum jelly to hold the 13 bearings in place. If you use high temp grease or wheel bearing grease it will take awhile for the rear output bearings to get a good supply of oil.

Looks like your shaft is a bit different than the one in my 72. The oil holes look to be larger and have a chamfer. I think someone had a better idea to get more oil to the output bearings.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
The three holes in the back of the pocket for the 13 bearings are the oil supply holes for the rear output bearings. Use petroleum jelly to hold the 13 bearings in place. If you use high temp grease or wheel bearing grease it will take awhile for the rear output bearings to get a good supply of oil.

Looks like your shaft is a bit different than the one in my 72. The oil holes look to be larger and have a chamfer. I think someone had a better idea to get more oil to the output bearings.
That's out of my 74'. They may have done some better engineering.

Viperwolf has some good advice sticking it in from the end, they are that close in tolerance.

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Transfer info

I finally got the bearing to drop in from top. As posted earlier. Question I put new shims on Idler shaft and cannot turn by hand. Is that normal or believe i have problem. Every thing shifts great. See pics of problem bearing. and complete assembly. Tough for one man.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions

Attachments

• shaft.jpg
    shaft.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Transtranfer.jpg
    Transtranfer.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you can't turn it by hand it's too tight. I know some new thrust washers are made too thick. You might need to replace one with an old washer.

broncochevy

Loc.
Orcutt, CA
Mine is a 67 T-shirt Dana 20, yours looks like the J shift. Mine had no shims on the idler shaft and just had to thrust washers on one on each side of the case, but there were three washers one in between the roller bearings and one on either end. It is a good idea to check everything As you put it in to see if it rotates. So if one thing doesn’t spin you know it’s related to that last step you just performed. If I can do it you can do it.