• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 Rear Output Shaft - Housing Play?

EBGeek

Ok, I need some assistance from you D20 experts out there. I pulled my D20 out and was in the process of replacing seals (no gear removal), since everything, including gear lash, seemed really tight. I went to put everything back together and when I installed the rear output housing (which all I had done is pull the yoke and replaced the shaft seal), it had an awful lot of play in it.

I pulled it back off, since I knew something wasn't right, and with output housing removed, I'm able to to move the output shaft in/out, making for a considerable amount of play. Bear in mind, I don't have the yoke installed. But can someone confirm if there should be play in housing with it removed? In other words, what keeps the output shaft from moving in/out in the output housing?

I can't imagine what has changed since I pulled it apart, as it seemed to be quite tight before. And maybe this is completely normal and I'm just being overly cautious. I just don't remember this amount of play when I took it apart...

Thanks for your help, guys!

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

I just realized I posted this in Chat and not Tech. Apologies, I don't see an option to move it...

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I want to say there is an O-ring that goes behind the washer that seals the yoke...

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Hozr, I'm pretty sure you're right, and I have the o-ring and washer for the yoke. But I guess I'm wondering if there should be 1/4 inch of play in/out without the yoke installed. I guess it's possible that the yoke pulls the shaft out to remove the play, I just wanted to ask before I put it all back together.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The yoke pulls everything tight so that's most of the problem. There is another thing that could happen when you remove the yoke though. The thin (.003-.005") shims that set the end play tend to break into pieces over time. Once you remove the tension the pieces could fall out of place. If that happens it would create more end play. Tighten the yoke back up and see what you have.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Thanks for the reply, ViperWolf. I had a hunch the yoke pulled the bearing into the race, but it unnerved me a bit to see that much play beforehand. I'll cinch it down and let you know how the play ends up...