• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 - stock shifters = FWD?

Pacopico

Loc.
SoCal
I was just talking to a friend of mine who also has an EB (his is D20 T-shifter, mine D20 J-shifter), and he has experienced the same thing as I have.

When running in 4-hi, and just shifting back to 2-hi without unlocking the front hubs, the t-case will shift into 2-hi/FWD!

I don't *think* this is supposed to be this way, but otherwise the t-case performs well, goes into all ranges...fluid level is full.

Anybody else? Any ideas on how to correct this or is it the way it is.

rstgermaine

How do you know it's in front wheel drive only? Did you unlock the hubs and find you were unable to go any where? Did you then leave it in gear (1st or drive), get out and see only the front driveshaft turning?

OP
OP
P

Pacopico

Loc.
SoCal
First off, no I did not do what you said, and it doesn't happen every time, so I am unable to try it out in my driveway. When it does happen again, I'll see.

Here's how I know it was FWD only.

...shifted from 4-hi to 2-hi (stopped in neutral, front hubs locked), went driving around, through some sand and light mud. I got stuck, and my friend noted that my left front tire only was turning (no rear tires turning). I switched back into 4-hi, and drove out.

...shifted back to 2-hi, drove around some more, and when going up a concrete ramp with sand on it I hit the gas a little...the left front tire spun, and my friend watching again said no rear tires turning...again to 4-hi to get up the ramp.

What do you think happened?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Probably worn rods and/or detents between the shift rails. If it was being caused by a worn or loose shift fork, bad clutch teeth it would be popping out of 2HI into N all the time.

OP
OP
P

Pacopico

Loc.
SoCal
Skuzzlebutt, you might be on to it...it does like to pop out of 2-hi unless you really jam it in...I'll have to check it out!

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Mine does it too, and it is the shifter. sometimes it just doesn't grab the right slide.
I keep meaning to swap in another shifter to see what happens.