• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D20 vs 205 for AOD swap

Thunder26

Which transfer case should I use it looks like either way i'm going to need new driveshafts. So which option is cheaper and which one is stronger.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 205 is a bolt on....the D-20 requires an aftermarket adapter.

The 205 weighs a LOT more than the D-20 and has only a 2:1 low range ratio....

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Depends on weather or not your AOD is 2wd or 4wd? If it has the AOD 4wd housing a 205 will bolt to it, if it's 2wd then no matter what you'll need an adapter. If you need an adapter then go with the D20, the gearing is lower and packaging will be a little better, the 205 is really wide between the frame rails and as mentioned you only get 2:1 low range.

Either way plan on a gear swap, the AOD has a really steep OD!

OP
OP
Thunder26

Thunder26

Not really worried about gearing mostly just driving around town no crawling. As for gears will my 4.11's and 33's be ok? lastly how much is the adapter for a 2wd AOD I thought I just needed to grab a tail section from a truck?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
... I thought I just needed to grab a tail section from a truck?

Trouble is you also need the 4WD output shaft. It is more then just the tailhousing to make it a 4WD transmission. To change the output shaft you need to completely gut the transmission, the output shaft comes out the front after everything else is removed first.