• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D30 drag link/track bar fit a D44??

70_Steve

Old Guy
I put a 76 D44 in my 70. I used the 70 track bar and it worked out great. The D44 wound up centered pretty well, but I installed a 2 1/2" suspension lift at the same time. I also installed F150 power steering box, so I had to get a shorter, adjustable drag link. I lengthened the D30 tie-rod to fit the D44 by cutting off the drivers end, threading, and using the passenger side tie-rod end and coupling.

BlackHorse

Daddy4zack said:
Will a "70" Dana 30 Drag link and Track bar fit a "74" Dana 44?
Thanks

The drag link is the same on the 70 and the 74 so YES on the drag link.
You can bolt the track bar on also. The difference in the track bar for the 30 and the 44 is that the 44s have more bend in them for front diff cover clearance. Stock 44 track bars should be cheap and easy to find. Use a 71 to 75. Or get an adjusting one from one of the venders.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The best answer I can give is... Maybe.
Depending on build variation, you can have planty of room, slight interference or hard contact between the track bar and the front diff cover.
Drop track bar brackets could alter the amount of interference, probably making the condition worse.
I run a D30 track bar on my D44, but I am also running a raised bracket on the housing and the stock mount on the frame. I have all the clearance I could ask for. I have also seen diff covers with a nice crease in them...

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
I should probablly start a new thread, but...

I replaced my 67D30 with a 76D44 and I retained the 67 tracbar. I also put a 3.5 inch lift kit on with a lowered bracket for the tracbar. I put all new urethane bushings on as well, and now when I turn the wheel there is slack in the bushing on the axle housing- which gives me alot of play in the steering. MEANING- When I turn the wheel, the body shifts before the tires move :mad: .

SO- Are the tracbar mounting studs on the D30 different from the ones on the D44 ?:? ?

I realize heims would probablly eliminate this, but is there any other simpler/cheaper solutions before i go that route?

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
there should be no play in the track bar if you replaced the bushings. Something else may be wrong. Your track bar does have round bushings on both ends right? Did you re-use the D30 driveshaft? I just swapped in a D44 into my 68 and the D30 shaft is too long. Now I need to replace it.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
kwspony said:
there should be no play in the track bar if you replaced the bushings. Something else may be wrong. Your track bar does have round bushings on both ends right? Did you re-use the D30 driveshaft? I just swapped in a D44 into my 68 and the D30 shaft is too long. Now I need to replace it.

Yeah, the ends are round and I replaced the bushings with the ones from the JD kit. I also reused the drive shaft... but i dont know if it was the original or not. There isnt alot of slop- meaning, i can't move it by hand, but if I look at the steering linkage when someone else moves the wheel, i can see the body (sprung weight) move laterally before the tires turn %). I know a solid axle short wheel based truck wheel act squirrely on the road, but truck wanders all over. I know the box is good, and I have the Bulletproof drag link and tierod. its just fustrating. :(

OP
OP
Daddy4zack

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
some how did the bolts get mixed up? Or the sleeves in the bushings? seems like they all should be a tight fit. Is the bolt is the same diameter as the sleeve? In the bushings there is one larger and one smaller sounds like something got mixed up.. ?:?

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
Daddy4zack said:
some how did the bolts get mixed up? Or the sleeves in the bushings? seems like they all should be a tight fit. Is the bolt is the same diameter as the sleeve? In the bushings there is one larger and one smaller sounds like something got mixed up.. ?:?

The bolts couldn't have gotten mixed up b/c the bolt on the axle housing is stud on the housing itself. However, i never thought about mixing up the metal sleeves in the bushings %) . Im gonna pull it apart tomorrow, and take a gander.

It is the JD 3.5 inch stage 2 kit- Anyone know if the trac-bar's bushings and metal sleeve inserts are are different depending on which side (the frame mount versus axle mount)? ?:?