• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

d44 axle shafts

Action

Needing new axle shafts.....Thinking about WH chromoly axke shafts..Bronco width...I am more into exploring and camping then rock crawling. Just wondering if the spicer u-joints will be good for me?......302...5:13....detroit rear....e-locker front....37" tires.
Thanks
Jack

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be fine if your goal is to get in and get out, not take the most difficult line.

I chose to go with RCV's in my current F150 axle swap, in part for the added insurance against breakage, but also due to smoother power transfer while turning in tight quarters. FWIW, I'll be running a 351W, NV4500, ATLAS 3.8:1, 4.88's, ARB's and 37's.

OP
OP
Action

Action

Thanks....i haven't decided on u joints yet as to why i havent bought yet....I just dont think i need rcv's...but i do like the idea of bullet proof......

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Spicer is good. I would not run anything less. Anything more (that is affordable) tends to get into solid bushings and increased maintenance. With mild use they should be fine even with 37s. From your described plans, the Spicers should be fine. If you said "beat on it" I would say RCVs.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
the chrome molly shafts with the larger u-joints are the best deal going. after exploding the stock u-joint on drivers side short shaft I up graded 30 years ago and have never had a problem since. I learned my lesson the hard way. the short shaft doesnt twist so the u joint is the weak point. just don't force the axle to go with the wheels cranked all the way over. keep the wheels as straight as you can even if you got to reposition. you'll never forget the sound when a u-joint lets go.

OP
OP
Action

Action

Thanks everyone....I am guessing the only time i would beat on it would be to get home from an ordeal....lol....yea the maintenance also concerned me with the other joints
Thanks again

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Don't believe people when they say "if you're going to beat on it..."

TORQUE to the ground is what grenades them... now you can do that by bouncing up and down at 5K RPM or you can do it in great traction situations with the wheels possibly bound up with lockers and 33's or 35"s... idling! Or as simple as pulling something heavy in reverse with all that weight transfer to the front wheels (like backing up a hill in reverse) and the front wheels not slipping.

CTM's or OX joints are multiple times stronger than Spicer joints. Ive twisted so many axles and joints doing super simple high traction, while idling with 35"s and 37"s on trails- not in the rocks.

When the Spicer joint breaks and takes out your axle good luck getting a warranty claim on the expensive chrome moly axle...

So since you aren't doing rocks I agree that RCV's aren't really needed (but should last forever), but why not spend a few extra bucks and get some joints that are so much stronger than a Spicer?

Greasing your joints (maintenance) is a LOT easier than replacing the axle on the side of the trail (if you have a spare) because you didn't want to do maintenance inside your shop at night...