• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Daily Driver can it be done?

bronc7211

I have used my Bronco as a daily driver for over 8 years, including a cros country trip from California to here in Michigan. Never had a problem starting it in the cold Michigan winters, though it can be kind of scary driving it icy conditions ,tends to want to spin more than any other vehicle I have driven.
Though for the last 3 years it has not been my daily driver as it costs a lot to keep operating.

72BlueBronco

I had a daily driver for years in and after high school. I loved it! Now I need something with a little more comfort in it for a daily driver. Wouldn't change those daze for the world.......

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I drove my 1976 EB for 14 years as my daily driver. In fact it was my only car at the time. Sure, it would have some times that it needed work done but just like a new car, if you do the maintenance and repair problems before they become big problems you should be fine. As noted...they are not the smoothest riding vehicles, tend to be loud in the cab unless you insulate the heck out if the bottom. I'm in Maine so winter was interesting but once the engine heated up I was always warm and could keep the window defrosted. The wipers on top of the windshield really suck in snow. I guess it all depends on how much you really want an EB as a daily driver. It can be done.

:)

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Yes, it can be done. I drove my 69 100% stock EB for 4 years in San Francisco Bay traffic with a 50 mile daily commute. Adding power brakes (still with the original drums) was the first and best mod I did- it made driving much nicer.

I also drove it to Tahoe for skiing and it started right up in the hella cold mornings with the original points ignition and a correctly adjusted choke. Just remember to open the choke once warm or your gas milage goes WAY down. ;D

I even drove it on a cross country trip totaling ~2000 miles through CA, OR, WA, ID, SD, WY, UT, and NV.

On the (possibly) negative side, you need to be very mechnically inclined and willing to continually tinker. You don't need to know too much to start, but you need (and are willing) to learn fast. These vehicles are very simple and reliable in stock form, but require periodic work and tinkering.

I'd take along someone familiar with EBs if you're considering buying one. Very few of these are stock anymore and the modifications made by numerious prior owners may not be safe, reliable, or fit your intended usage or repair capacity.

JP

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've had my 74 since '97, and it's been a semi-daily driver the whole time.
with any used car, you're dealing with a potential P.O.S. that might be nothing but trouble. I bought mine for $1800 and drove it for 2 years before it needed any major work. and I've had newer vehicles that needed major repairs before it was even paid off!
Broncos are a great design that can be built to be just as reliable as anything else. (but Broncos are more fun)

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Of course a bronco can be a daily driver - it can be as solid and reliable as you are willing to make it or pay for. The good news for you - broncos are hideously undervalued - so you should be able to buy a nice one at a reasonable price. I would say for 8-10k you can find reliable DD material. Compare that to something like an FJ-40 you would pay 15k+. EBs are easy to work on, there's lots of support here and with local clubs. Go for it now - you'll end up buying one later anyway if that's where your heart is.

Dan76

I drive my 76' every day, and wheel it everyweekend.. Only downside is the gas! Once you get all the bugs out of them they can be very reliable, but I always keep extra parts on me: starter/fuelpump/fuelfilter easy things like that that tend to go out when you dont want them to!

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
I am spoiled, I like driving mine and believe me its as good as it gets, but tha heated seats, a/c, great stereo, and quiet cabin in my Silverado make the daily driver.

FordTruckGuyFX4

Loc.
East TN
It is so possible its not even funny. i drove a '66 mustang 4 years until i sold it which was unrestored, i put brakes, tires, and tune up parts on it, nothing else aside from a few suspension pieces and the only time it ever let me down was when the original radiator finally busted on me but that was the best most reliable car i've ever had to me and i'm about to sell my '05 f-150 and drive my '77 F-150 4x4 everyday b/c new stuff just sucks.

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
I might be looking to sell my TJ at the end of the summer and look for another EB for a daily driver. I figure with a ZF, EFI, 33's, 4:10's and not romping on it all the time it will get as good if not better gas mileage than most SUV's that are running 33's. My TJ only gets 16-18 if I am real light on the pedal, my Xterra with 33's only was getting around 14 mpg, 85 4Runner on 32's around 15.

I would much rather own another EB than a new SUV, this one could have carpet, sound deadening, AC, etc and get envious looks from everyone around you. Hmmm....end of summer.....anyone looking for a 97 TJ ;)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Get you one test it out then wprk your way into daily driving ....I have a buddy that has daily drove his 1966 200 cid now for the last 4 or 5 years the best thing about him is he only lives about 5 miles from work ...mine I drive almost every evening but not to work It's about 15 miles and I'm supposed to be the 1st one there .....I'm still trying to work up the gut to start taking it into work ...
Also the best daily driver I've seen is the buddy at the local ford house ...1966 fast back perfect since about 197something since I've know him ....
His wife has driven it forever and they must have 400'000 miles on it maybe even more ....back when I mixed paint I mixed the dupont paint for it's 1st paint job then again to match it after a wreck and it's bronze ...and you still cant see where it's painted and matched ...I think it the best I ever did ....

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
I also wanted a bronco as a daily driver in high school but my parents were not for it and bought me a later model bronco instead. BIG MISTAKE!!! Sold that bronco after less than a year and got a very nice SUV. Then finally after over a year of non-stop negations I finally got my 72 as a toy. It has been 110% better than my previous bronco and if weather premits you could not pay me any amount of money not to drive it where ever I go.