• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dakota digital GPS

Mark1911

Good evening. Is anyone running the Dakota digital GPS unit for speedo?
I am using the RTX speedo/gauge set up from Dakota digital and a ford fuel injected 347. The Ford ECM requires 8000ppm and the supplied Dakota digital speed sensor is 16000ppm digital sender. So to simplify things I was thinking hey why not GPS? It has a output for 8000ppm sine wave signal the ford ECM will like and less wiring. Anyways is anyone using this type of set up? Pros? Cons?
Thank you for any input.
Mark.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Dakota Digital GPS

Mark1911,

I am using the GPS with my Dakota Digital dash and I love it. I could only get one signal from the transfer case to the ECU and needed the GPS for the speedometer. Works great and you don't even know it is GPS (can't see the box).

v/r,

Mike

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have am Autometer GPS speedometer and have been thinking about where to place the antenna. Where have you put your antenna?

OP
OP
Mark1911

Mark1911

AZ73, I have not installed as of yet, still in the process of deciding weather or not to use the GPS module, but after reading Summit racings feed back from other users and users hear on Classic Broncos, I am just going to go with it, everyone seems to absolutely love it. As far as where to mount the module for signal acquisition, according to Dakota Digital and other users, the antenna is optional and not necessary? and as far as mounting the module in the "steel box" of the Bronco does not have an effect on operation.
I was thinking of mounting mine on the drivers kick panel up high and if it struggles with a signal ill probably get the antenna. Still at the figuring things out stage.
Mark

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Dakota Digital GPS

Mark1911 and AZ73,

I placed my antenna on the inside lower edge on the driver's side of the windshield. Works great and out of the way.

v/r,

Mike