• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dakota digital VHx with efi vss?

bronc50

My question is to know what you have done for a vss signal to the ford a9l ECM when running a Dakota digital VHx gauges. The dakota vss sensor that runs the speedo puts out 16000 PPM and the a9L is looking for a 8000 PPM signal. I can buy a add on kit from Dakota however I thought I would see if anyone has done this yet? What all does the a9l use the vss Signal for?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Try leaving the VSS (to the EEC) disconnected. More then half the time it will be just fine.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
If you do have issues, you should be able to piggy back them, or get an in line vss cable

Last edited:
OP
OP
bronc50

bronc50

Thought about leaving it disconnected but ford put it there for a reason so I would like to use it. I don't think I could piggy back 2 vss sensors as the Dakota is all one unit and not cable driven so?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only thing I have against just putting the Dakota VSS signal into the EEC is the EEC usually has some logic that pulls a bit of timing above 100 MPH, double the signal and it will be falling flat at 50 MPH. You may never notice, or it may just show up as bad highway economy, or even feel a bit gutless on the highway.

Can the Dakota gauge work with other VSS? Almost every aftermarket electronic speedo I have ever seen has programibility to match existing VSS. If that is the case use the Ford VSS and share the signal with the Dakota gauge. I am 99% sure the Dakota gauge will be just fine and happy with the ford VSS.

What the EEC does with the VSS varys a little. The most notorous is prevent stalling on down grades. A long downhill grade engine braking without VSS and at the end the engine will like to stall as it was thinking it was running a high idle and didn't see the vehicle was pushing the engine, doesn't recover fast enough. Also part of the clutch switch logic. On applications with the E4OD trans, it gives the vehicle speed so the shift points are correct. Some logic for emissions controls (canister purge and EGR mostly), sometimes it can do a little fuel economy trick at light cruise and do a lean burn for gas mileage. I have seen some EEC programming that pulls a bit of timing at high speeds. Although not on the Mustang EECs, some could have top speed limiters as well. So that is what you could see the VSS controlling.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
back to the top...we need a solution. i need to run a vss for my eec. its starting to have stalling issues. im running dakota digital also

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
According to the Dakota instructions, it says to piggyback off of the VSS. I can't drive mine yet but I put the Dakota sending unit in the transfer case and attached the ECM wires to it then tapped into them inside the cab. When I started it and hit the reset button, the milage went to 000000, so I think it's reading something. We'll see if it works on the road sometime next year.

Jim W.