• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 detent springs and balls

BRONCITIS74

I have a '74 Bronco with a J-shift transfer case. I recently installed a WH twin stick setup. It also has an AX-15 5 speed trans. As I move down the highway at about 55 mph, the transfer case pops out of gear into neutral. I have to stop the truck, put the transfer case back into 2 Hi and continue on till it happens again. It never did this until I installed the twin sticks. I have researched this and found it could be as simple as changing the detent balls and springs. I have never done this and any help you guys can give me is certainly appreciated. I'm not even sure where they are on the transfer case. Any pics would be very helpful. Thanx!

Dude 713

I went through the same thing. Put new adjustable detents in and it still happens. I took the shifter for the front axle off and put a stack of washers on the bolt to take up the slack where the shifter was and it never popped out again. Still haven't fixed it right but I think the slot in the fork needs tbe ground a little deeper.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
remove the rear driveshaft check the transfer case yoke and make sure it isnt loose or wiggly. make sure the driveshaft is in good shape and not loose in the joints and fastenings. you cold take it to a driveshaft service and check balance.

Dude 713

So when I said fork what I actually meant was the shift rail and the flat piece with the u shaped cut out that the shifter goes through to shift. But forget about that just remove the shifter closest to driver's side ( front axle shifter) get 5-6 flat washers and slide them over pivot bolt, then put bolt back through the rear axle shifter and tighten it up. Try driving it and if it doesn't jump out of gear then the two shifters are binding up and you will have to figure out where they are binding. If you have the washers it cost you nothing but about 10 minutes time to try.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Start with the adjustable springs and if that does not solve it, go to the yoke. The springs took a little adjustment but worked for my issue.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I had this problem after I rebuilt my D20 and installed twin sticks. It sucked. My short term fix was to bungee the shifter in place until I could work on it again. lol. I ended up replacing the detent balls and springs with units that I got from Jack O'Brien (not sure if he is still in business - he's the one who used to sell the super low gear kit for the Bronco Dana 20). Though from the links above it seems that others now have the springs and balls to buy. When I was going through this, it seemed that nobody but him had them... but that's been many, many years.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
dont bungee the shifter that makes the shift fork ride on the side of the shift collar and wear out the groove in the collar and wear out the shift fork too. then you will have real problems and have to destroy another transfer case to get the parts to fix it. I do not belive new parts are available. so you have to cannibalize to get working transfercase.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
dont bungee the shifter that makes the shift fork ride on the side of the shift collar and wear out the groove in the collar and wear out the shift fork too. then you will have real problems and have to destroy another transfer case to get the parts to fix it. I do not belive new parts are available. so you have to cannibalize to get working transfercase.

It was very temporary - like 60 miles to get home temporary. and you raise a valid point.

OP
OP
BRONCITIS74

BRONCITIS74

Thanks for all the information. The one thing I did not find out, is where these balls and springs are located on the transfer case. Can you help me with that?

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
The balls are in the middle of the shift rails. The shift rails are the 2 rod sticking out the front front of the xfer case. Follow the ends of the shift rails sticking out the front of the xfer case and (on the top side?), you should see some access to them by way of removing a nut like cap? Allan head screw? Then use a magnet to get the springs and balls out. At least I understand it to be that way. Can I get some back up on this ?

Attachments

• xfer case pills.jpg
    xfer case pills.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 52
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 47
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 46
  • t3.heic
    114.6 KB · Views: 9
  • dana 20 T shift.jpg
    dana 20 T shift.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 51

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I had the same exact problem last year. I bought stiffer springs from WildHorses, they sell a kit with new springs and balls. I think it's better than it was, but not great. The rig is dead in the water with fuel pump problems now,ugh.😉

OP
OP
BRONCITIS74

BRONCITIS74

Was just under the truck looking. Can this be done without removing the transfer case. It looks like I will have to remove the front drive shaft to get at these bolts. Am I correct?