• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Detent springs

zerostar2410

Just got done rebuilding my dana20 T. I pulled 1 red spring and 1 yellow spring. the red spring was larger than the yellow. I purchased new springs from wild horses and saw that the new ones were bare metal and the same height.

should i keep the original detent red and yellow springs or put the new ones in?

why is one spring longer than the other on the original springs? and colored differently? the new springs seem to be thicker material.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

1 more question: i also remember seeing a thread on here about modifying the breather on Dana20 to reroute higher. i cant seem to find it now. can anybody point me in the right direction?

thanks.

Letsgocrawling

Loc.
Tucson Az.
Just got done rebuilding my dana20 T. I pulled 1 red spring and 1 yellow spring. the red spring was larger than the yellow. I purchased new springs from wild horses and saw that the new ones were bare metal and the same height.

should i keep the original detent red and yellow springs or put the new ones in?

why is one spring longer than the other on the original springs? and colored differently? the new springs seem to be thicker material.

When i overhauled my d20, as i remember the springs were not the same length either and yes the new ones were thicker. I followed the dana spicer information to a T for the proper end plays-torque etc. Actually the old springs and balls went back in when finishing the job because i didn't have the new ones. After getting the rig going i did have issues with it popping out of high range-ugh! It was already in the truck. So i posted or joined a thread reguarding this stuff here a cbs and basicaly got schooled on what the probable problem was, like end play, torque, and so on. And there was alot of chatter to the toon of putting new springs in would just mask my problem, if i second guessed my job i would have checked those things, but i was confident that i did it perfect. So i then ordred the new springs and balls, did the miserable job in the truck which let me tell you with no body lift the top one was a bitch. I was amazed how well it shifts now---and yes no more popping out of gear.

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

anybody know where i can find the thread/tech article on how to drill and tap the dana 20 breather to more breather to high location?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
anybody know where i can find the thread/tech article on how to drill and tap the dana 20 breather to more breather to high location?

Just pull the vent out and tap the hole. It's already the correct diameter for 1/8" pipe, or was it 1/4" pipe?

OP
OP
Z

zerostar2410

I think its 1/4" but i wasnt sure. ive done it before years ago but i wanted to see the write up to refresh my memory. i guess ill just wing it this weekend.