• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Gears on Transmission

kiteoregon

I was able to pull the gears off the output shaft of the adapter that is bolted to the stock transmission (3-speed), when i attempt to place the gears on the AA adapter the snap ring is not even close. See the first photo with the red line, this is the gap for the snap ring. Once the gear is on there the snap ring slot is somewhere in the middle of the gear. Are there different gears that are needed, or is the shaft on the adapter not long enough? Maybe with this setup you don't need the snap ring, i doubt it however.

AA Output Shaft

With Gear

Thanks
KO

Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
You will have to find a used gear. Try Broncograveyard or tom's and a wanted ad. There is a snap ring that holds them on. Shouldn't need a puller once the ring is removed.

OP
OP
K

kiteoregon

Got the gear off, but now the AA adapter shaft seems to short. See edit and photos in first post.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
NV3550 conversion? Is that your original spud shaft or the new one from the kit? You definitely need the snap ring. Is the gear bottoming out against the housing or the shoulder on the shaft? From the first picture it looks like you may have a little gap between the bearing and the housing.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It looks like the shaft has slipped out of the bearing some. Tap it back in then try to fit the gear.

OP
OP
K

kiteoregon

It's connecting to an AOD. The gear is up tight, and it would appear that the shaft is about 1" to short. I think i am stuck with calling AA to see if there is longer shaft. I am beginning to think this is not the correct kit for the AOD. Got this with the transmission here on CB, really would suck to have to throw down again for an adapter.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's connecting to an AOD. The gear is up tight, and it would appear that the shaft is about 1" to short. I think i am stuck with calling AA to see if there is longer shaft. I am beginning to think this is not the correct kit for the AOD. Got this with the transmission here on CB, really would suck to have to throw down again for an adapter.

How long is the shaft? Should be close to 6".

OP
OP
K

kiteoregon

After talking to AA I figured out that the PO did not press the shaft all the way. After the press all is good.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I was able to pull the gears off the output shaft of the adapter that is bolted to the stock transmission (3-speed), when i attempt to place the gears on the AA adapter the snap ring is not even close. See the first photo with the red line, this is the gap for the snap ring. Once the gear is on there the snap ring slot is somewhere in the middle of the gear. Are there different gears that are needed, or is the shaft on the adapter not long enough? Maybe with this setup you don't need the snap ring, i doubt it however.

AA Output Shaft

With Gear

Thanks
KO

It doesn't look like the bearing in the aluminum housing is seated all the way. Mine measures 5/16" from the outer edge of the aluminum piece to the face of the bearing.