• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 J-shift rebuild question

Pestanza

Loc.
Sunnyvale
So while rebuilding my j shift, I realized that I forgot to put in the pill during the reassembly. Does this matter? I don't really want to take it out and apart again if I don't have to!

Pestanza

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
Apparently no one knows or no one wants to give you the bad news. Sounds like something I would do, so I paid someone else to rebuild mine. :)

70_Steve

Old Guy
You will loose the interlocking between front and rear drive. If you're twin-stiching it, not a big deal.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You will loose the interlocking between front and rear drive. If you're twin-stiching it, not a big deal.

The pill doesn't do the interlocking on the J-shift. The flags are the interlock.

Without the pill the shift rails will be allowed to travel further than normal. This could allow the sliding gears to contact the rear of the case. Don't do that and it'll probably be fine.