• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Questions

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I was inspecting my Dana 20 and noticed that the thrust washers have some play when I’m rotating the gears. Is that normal?

Thanks
Kev

Attachments

• BF9F6836-1BAA-494F-8D8C-3783ED4BB3AD.jpg
    BF9F6836-1BAA-494F-8D8C-3783ED4BB3AD.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 67

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Feeler gauge time. How much play?
There is some gap, much like the endplay on a crankshaft, just not much. It's not preloaded like a differential.

I don't remember the spec, but not much.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Feeler gauge time. How much play?
There is some gap, much like the endplay on a crankshaft, just not much. It's not preloaded like a differential.

I don't remember the spec, but not much.

The best I can describe it is when I’m rotating the gears the washer rotates about about one quarter of the way then it stops, then when I rotate it the opposite way it rotates back and then stops again. There must be some kind of channel that’s making it stop from rotating a full 360. I don’t see any movement or gap between the thrust washers and the gears.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
The best I can describe it is when I’m rotating the gears the washer rotates about about one quarter of the way then it stops, then when I rotate it the opposite way it rotates back and then stops again. There must be some kind of channel that’s making it stop from rotating a full 360. I don’t see any movement or gap between the thrust washers and the gears.

That "play" you are talking about is normal. There are some little stops on the washers that keep them from spinning. They sit in grooves on the case. That is what you are seeing.

Jim