• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 shift fork removal help

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
How do you remove the shift fork allen bolts in a Dana 20?

I have a Dana 20 disassembled to the point of needing to remove the allen bolts in the shift forks.

I can just barely get an allen wrench on them, but with the lack of access inside the case, I can't generate enough torque to get them loose.

What am I missing here?

Attachments

• 20210820_163304.jpg
    20210820_163304.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 80

mrdrnac

Contributor
I used an allen socket and a long swivel head extension and then a ratchet head on top. Worked easily.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's a lot easier if you take the sliding gears out first.

papy

Contributor
long good quality allen key and a pair of vise grips. turn the vise grips and push down on the allen key at the same time. took a while but she finally broke loose

Hinmaton

You should be able to move the shift rods enough for the gear to to clear the case

This^
But you need to play around with the position of the two shift rails. IE: one is in high gear and the other is in neutral. There is a position in which the fork will move all the way to allow the sliding gear to be pulled out, and it's not one position for both. You will go through the same positioning when you put the forks and sliding gears back in. If you haven't already, pull your detent balls and springs.

Hinmaton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
OK, so it's not the gears hitting the case that is preventing the shift rails from rotating enough to remove the sliding gears. There's something in the bore of the case that's preventing the shift rail from rotating enough.

Detent balls and springs have been removed as have the shift rail caps. One rail moves back and forth freely and rotated enough for me to take the gear off. The other will begrudgingly move in and out, but will only rotate a quarter of a turn or so before binding on something.

Anyone ever run into this issue?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
One rail moves back and forth freely and rotated enough for me to take the gear off. The other will begrudgingly move in and out, but will only rotate a quarter of a turn or so before binding on something.

Remove that shift fork and rail from the case then you can do anything with the other.