• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DANA 20 TRANSFER CASE DETENT BALLS PLUGS & SPRINGS replacement

conwaj

I'm in need of replacing the detent springs in my dana 20 "T" case. Is this possilble while the case in the driveline? The screws holding the spings and balls look to be accessable but not sure how difficult it is to compress the springs while under the vehicle. Thanks in advance.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you have a body lift it is possible to reach them and work on them.

A few people on here have done it, once.
All of them have said they will drop the transfer case the next time they do that job.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The biggest problem is getting to them. A body lift will help as will access hole in the tunnel. The front side (driver) is not bad to get to. The rear side is where you're going to be fighting for access.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
possible -YES, but never again, I'll pull the case.
AND, I will listen to Viper's advice next time. When I rebuilt my case with Tera Lows I added the adjustable detents, asked on here how tight to adjust them, Viper described how to do it, it felt too tight to me so I backed off of it a little......AND...guess what.......rear would jump out of gear, so I had to fight to tighten it up with a doubler which made access even worse.

PaveBronco

I suppose you can remove the crossmember and drop the jack as far as you dare leaning the whole engine and trans back to gain some access. Just make sure you watch for things hitting other things, that's a bad thing. Also if the reason for the spring replacement is its popping out of gear, the T case might need rebuilding, so you'll end up dropping it anyway...