• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 30 king pin rebuild

1970mule

Bronco Guru
SO I looked at my king pins and I took the tires and tried to wiggle them top to bottom and they seem loose so I guess a rebuild is in order. so do I need any special tools for this job? I have read many a post about don't spend the money fixing the d30 as this will cost $200, I know the d44 is better but a used is about 250-500 bucks and it will neeed a rebuild so I don't have the funds for that right now and the d30 will suit me as I don't do a lot of tuff wheeling, anywho is this a tuff rebuild? do I need to take the hubs all a loose and all that? I looked for a rebuild guide any help his appreciated.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I did my 30 years ago and have been running 37" rubber on the road for a year now and 35's and 33's before that. So just rebuild what you got. Its super easy.....I didn't even check torque on the knuckle.....I just reused the shims that I took out. Only special tool is that spindle bolt socket.

Im actually adding power steering to my dana 30 as we speek. I have a 44 but the only thing I will end up using is the casing. So to get my 44 built and installed will cost minimum of 4 grand just in parts. plus the couple hundred I have into the disk brake swap.

Sure the 44 is better hands down.....but the 30 is just fine for 90% of the broncos on the road.

TAC71

The street only Bronco I am putting together is keeping the 30. I took all the parts to the auto parts store and matched up replacements. Easy deal to do.
If your parts are still god you may get away with just reshiming.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
do i need to take of the drums brakes and all and unhook the brake lines?

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
ok so I have everything of but I can't get the top kingpin cap off. it spins and comes up about half way but does not come off. whats the deal.