• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 King Pins

bluemonday

Loc.
South Louisiana
Plan on putting a King Pin Kit on the Driver's side of my Dana 30. Anything to watch out for? That part that I didn't buy? The one thing that you had problems with? I am wanting to be prepared. Thanks guy for all the help.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i am going to be doing the same too in a few weeks. i did make the tool they tell you make in the original ford service manuals to remove the bearing races and such parts. i think someone should do a complete tech atricle with pics on this one.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Did mine a few years back with my dad, I installed new bearings when upgrading to power disk. I remember one of the four bolts on the top cap was corroded and stripped out (years of wear and the elements I suppose). My dad fixed the problem by re-tapping it with a bit larger metric bolt, it worked great.
The r/r was pretty straight forward, I do suggest having a service manual for reference and dont take both sides apart at the same time.
jed

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
Hey Marty, looks as if you and I are on our own for this one.
hey when do you plan on doing yours. i hope to be doing mine maybe next week as long as my shop is clear for me to bring in my truck. if you can wait a week or 2 and i get mine done i will post pics and if you would like i can mail you the tool as long as it works good.

OP
OP
B

bluemonday

Loc.
South Louisiana
Marty, did you buy your tool or make it? I have Ford's Service Manual on CD that has instructions on making a tool out of 1/2" rod and 1" pipe. Thanks

austinbrose

I did mine a couple months ago. Overall pretty simple, make sure you have new seals too. I did my whole front end at the time...kept finding bad seals and bearings. The races were a pain though! I used pry bars, hammers, chisels ect. Finally I found a larger open end wrench (11/16 I think) fit in there and worked the race loose fairly well. I used a cheater bar on it too, took a lot of force and patience. Another trick I didn't use that works is to weld a bead on the face of the race, which warps the race from the heat and it usually comes out easily. Good luck.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
Marty, did you buy your tool or make it? I have Ford's Service Manual on CD that has instructions on making a tool out of 1/2" rod and 1" pipe. Thanks
i made the exact tool that ford shows you in the service manual just as you described. now i just hope it works. will see sometime maybe in 2 weeks. next week is going to be a busy one for me.

lil mule

Loc.
ALBUQUERQUE
weld the outer races in a couple of spots and when it cools they will slide out easy just dont hit the metal right above the race with welding rod.