• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30... old Warn lockouts to new Warn Premium lockouts

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm changing out my old Warn lockouts on my 66 D30 for the new Warn Premium lockouts.

The new Warn lockout kit give you everything you need but do I still reuse the old spacer sleeve with the new Warn lockouts or is spacer not needed?

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Generally speaking, you don't reuse anything from the old locking mechanism. The only working items are now the inner locking assembly ("slug") and the outer knob assembly.

But I'm not sure what the spacer is you're talking about. Are these the original old style hubs from the '66? Or something added later?

Got pics?

Paul

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Generally speaking, you don't reuse anything from the old locking mechanism. The only working items are now the inner locking assembly ("slug") and the outer knob assembly.

But I'm not sure what the spacer is you're talking about. Are these the original old style hubs from the '66? Or something added later?

Got pics?

Paul

Hey Paul

The Warn lockout that are on my 66 D30 were the dealer option hubs in '66. I'm those lockouts could be bought anywhere then like they are today but some guys must have the dealer throw them on at the time of purchase of the Bronco. As for the spacer I can't remember if the original Ford lockout on the D30 had them or not. I know the D44 used a big spring instead of a spacer.

I'll snap a picture or two tomorrow, thanks Jeff!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
No, the old style Warns are totally different internally than the new design even though they look similar to the current "Premium" model, you will not reuse any of those parts.

Yes, they did have a FoMoCo part number and could be added at the dealer (not sure if they could be speced from the factory with them or not for sure?)

Here are pics I took of the internal details when we re-installed them on my Mom's 67 U14. The old design had a hell of a lot of machining in them. They sure have cheapened them up with the new design, which may be why most people prefer original Ford/Spicer hubs over new Warn Premiums for trail rigs which see hard use, they hold up better than the new Warns. Not sure how strong the old ones are, but they earned a great reputation, so I bet they were stronger, but I would not put one of the early original sets we have on a trail rig to see if I could break them!

Attachments

• DSCN2091.jpg
    DSCN2091.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2093.jpg
    DSCN2093.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN2094.jpg
    DSCN2094.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2095.jpg
    DSCN2095.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2096.jpg
    DSCN2096.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, the old style Warns are totally different internally than the new design even though they look similar to the current "Premium" model, you will not reuse any of those parts.

Yes, they did have a FoMoCo part number and could be added at the dealer (not sure if they could be speced from the factory with them or not for sure?)

Here are pics I took of the internal details when we re-installed them on my Mom's 67 U14. The old design had a hell of a lot of machining in them. They sure have cheapened them up with the new design, which may be why most people prefer original Ford/Spicer hubs over new Warn Premiums for trail rigs which see hard use, they hold up better than the new Warns. Not sure how strong the old ones are, but they earned a great reputation, so I bet they were stronger, but I would not put one of the early original sets we have on a trail rig to see if I could break them!
Thanks Drew, for posting pics for me. I totally agree with you that the original Warn hubs had crap load of machining that went into them while the new design looks like Warn cheapened them up like you said.

After taking at new Warn hubs it seemed that they didn't need the old style sleeve spacer. So, I installed the new hubs without spacer... they went on easy and seem to work perfectly! So I think I'm good to go now.
Thanks again, Jeff