• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 front axle U-joints

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Trying to get a consensus, as I've read both ways now. Going to change out the stock axle U-joints this weekend and was wondering how you go about greasing them. One camp says the grease that is already inside is plenty and the other side says to add grease to the cups, smash them down until the excess comes out the boots and then install them.

What say you? Thanks for the help.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I would say it depends on the joint. I always run Spicer joints. They use a long life synthetic grease. I wouldn't go mixing an off the shelf chassis grease with their synthetic grease. I buy the Spicer grease and use it where needed. Other brands, I have no idea what they run, but I would assume that they put an adequate amount of grease in there especially on a non-greaseable joint.

OP
OP

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Thank you. Yes, they are Spicer brand so that is good to know. Looks like that grease could just stay in my small needle grease gun for all the u-joints.