• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Inner Axle Seal

flexmerc

Contributor
I needed new Dana 44 Axle Seals because the older ones were too wide for my axles and caused leaking.

I purchased axle seals from three locations and I still do not have the correct axle seal.
For the record, the Summit Racing Part is the same part number as Toms Bronco and $15.00 cheaper

But i still need a Inner Axle seal, and it seems to me the one that i have on is the one labeled Dana 30.

Thoughts, suggestions? inner axle location.jpg Dana 44.jpg Dana Seal Inner.jpg

Axle seal from East Coast Axle Supply
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23993166-dana-44-inner-axle-seal-2-63-od.html
Axle seal from Toms Bronco
https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/72-77-ford-bronco-dana-44-inner-axle-tube-seal
Axle from Summit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDH-36352

Torkman66

Contributor
To clarify, the ones you had were too wide? Do you mean the inner circumference size was larger than the axle shaft?

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
To clarify, the ones you had were too wide? Do you mean the inner circumference size was larger than the axle shaft?
Negative, they were the correct diameter, but the protruding port is hitting the inner axle.
InkedInner seal.jpg InkedInkedinner axle location.jpg

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
This is the OG inner seal, but the rubber wouldn't seal around the axle, thus causing it to leak

Attachments

• IMG_5617.jpeg
    IMG_5617.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 23

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What’s the depth and girth of the original? Can you put them side-by-side on the table?

Torkman66

Contributor
Sorry for the questions but wanting to understand. I just did this to my 44 without issue. Are you saying the seal casing that is the smaller diameter that goes into the tube is hitting those rounded edges of the tube where your red arrows are in your pic above?

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Sorry for the questions but wanting to understand. I just did this to my 44 without issue. Are you saying the seal casing that is the smaller diameter that goes into the tube is hitting those rounded edges of the tube where your red arrows are in your pic above?
Yup...the problem is that he left half of the old seal in the housing. The original seals on the early axles were a two piece. with a metallic "lead in" collar, and a regular flat seal. The replacement has the lead in collar molded into the seal itself.

It's kinda tricky to get the old collar out because they rust / stick to the axle tube, and of course they are made to guide the axle shaft...so they are rounded and there's no good place to grab them.

@flexmerc ...as soon as you knock the old one's out...the new ones will fit. @DirtDonk ...beware! He has a new seal partially visible just above the calipers that is wrong and shouldn't be anywhere near a D44 in an Early Bronco. (unless he is running a 78-79 D44!!!)

Gotta go.

Torkman66

Contributor
As always, great catch James! You can try to put a long 1” pipe into tube opening and catch the edge of the inner portion of that seal lip and knock it out. Might work best.

Torkman66

Contributor
Here is what’s going on from the shop manual. You have the original seal 3248 and 3254. You removed 3254 and still have 3248 in the tube. As James points out, the new seals incorporate the “guide” ring 3248 into the seal itself.
IMG_6708.jpeg

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
Yup...the problem is that he left half of the old seal in the housing. The original seals on the early axles were a two piece. with a metallic "lead in" collar, and a regular flat seal. The replacement has the lead in collar molded into the seal itself.

It's kinda tricky to get the old collar out because they rust / stick to the axle tube, and of course they are made to guide the axle shaft...so they are rounded and there's no good place to grab them.

@flexmerc ...as soon as you knock the old one's out...the new ones will fit. @DirtDonk ...beware! He has a new seal partially visible just above the calipers that is wrong and shouldn't be anywhere near a D44 in an Early Bronco. (unless he is running a 78-79 D44!!!)

Gotta go.
Awesome dudes, Im gonna be home tomorrow (calling in sick) I'll giver a shot!
@jameseoney correct about the wrong axle seal in the photo, I ordered it from east coast axle supply, it's all kind of wrong

Last edited:
OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
you were correct, it is a older style two-piece inner oil seal.
IMG_5639.jpeg

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Good stuff, I came late to the party.