• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 knuckles new vs old style

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I understand that 76-77 the dana 44 got changed and has different knuckles and steering linkage. My question is- will a 71.5-75 knuckle go on a 76-77 axle?

I am going to look at a dana 44 tomarow that the guy thinks is a 76 but he said he took off the knuckles, spindles, backing plates, etc (probably for the disc brakes). I dont want disc brakes from a 76-77 anyway! Second question is- if it is a 76 can i use it and get used knuckles from the earlyer year axles and do the imfamous chevy disc brake conversion? Is everything else the same... axle housing, axle shafts, ball joints, etc?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
yes, the knuckles are interchangeable. if you want to put disk brakes on it with the small knuckles then you are limited. the chevy disk brake conversion is an option. the opening in the knuckles is smaller so if you go with upgraded axles you might run into some problems.

i'm not sure if they trackbar mount is different on those axles or not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The spindle hole on the GM and drum brake Fords is smaller than the Ford disc style opening.
The smaller spindles also have 6 bolts holding them on, while the larger ones have 5.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Yes i knew about the 5 and 6 bolt spindles. So any dana 44 will work if i use the smaller 71.5-75 knuckles and bolt them to the chevy 6 bolt backing plate and chevy 6 bolt spindles? And having a smaller opening as you guys are saying, means that some larger axle shaft, and ujoint combos are not possible? And as far as the trac bar mount maybe being different i could just weld on a new one probably with a bit of a rise to fix geometry?

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Good eye mavereq! The trac bar is different, kinda. I think they just use a sleve to adapt my adjustable trac bar to fit. Thanks for the heads up! Good eye, good eye!

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The chevy parts are around 300 bucks plus the dana 44 axle used for around 150 that im looking at. Thats less than 500 bucks total. Can you find me a 44 with the factory discs for around that? I guess maybe im rushing into buying a 44 that i really shouldnt? Arnt there clearence issues involved in a 76-77 axle? As well as having to modfy steering linkage? Should i hold off on buying the 150 dollar axle?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
where are you located? i have 2 eb d44 housings and an extra set of ford disc brake knuckles, brackets, hubs, and spindles. the housings are bare so you'd need diff/gears. i have the stock axles out of them.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I just looked in the classifieds and found most d44 with the disc brakes that members are selling actually are not stock discs but retrofits like im thinken. If i do the retrofit myself i know what to buy if something breaks with the others who knows????
Im in minneapolis, MN.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you know what gears are in the one you're looking at? Hopefully they match what you've already got, so you don't have to go through that hassle too.

Paul

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Yes if the gears match ill take it. I can get a disc brake conv from jeffs bronco for 530 bucks, or go the chevy route. If the gears dont match then i run the d30 for a while and wait for another d44 thats near me to show up. I have to stay away from my impulse buying! Im meeting up with this guy to buy a hood for 50 bucks and look at the rest of his early bronco parts. Just got excited when i heard he had a d44 that i could haul home with me and not have to pay for shipping.