• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Problems

MDBronco

Trying to fix my 4wd, and would like some guesses on the problems before I go tearing it apart and ordering parts.

I feel if I am more certain on the problem and expenses it will be for the parts, I am more confident in tearing it apart.

My Brother was the previous owner and this happened while he was driving:

Here's the scoop. No U-Joint on the drivers side axle. Reasoning: the axle is bent, so the U-Joint wont work.

Anyways, the rear U-Joint snapped going down the road. He put it in 4wd only thinking the front pass. tire would pull due to the driver side U-Joint missing. He made it a couple miles, but then it stopped. Now when you put it in 4wd, it has a grinding noise comming from the front.

My guess (which is pretty uneducated) would be a busted ring and pinion in the front diff.

On top of the drivers side axle shaft and U-Joint I would assume I would need a new ring and pinion (if indeed thats the problem)

Any other thoughts?

Big D

It sounds as though you need to take a peek inside to see what's up. It's always easier to speculate, but you never know for sure until you can have a looksie. Sounds like the perfect time to upgrade the D44.

Big D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Since one axle shaft was out there's a good possiblity that dirt and water have entered the axle and caused the bearings and gears to wear out with use.
I'd plan on replacing everything in the front diff.

OP
OP
M

MDBronco

Since one axle shaft was out there's a good possiblity that dirt and water have entered the axle and caused the bearings and gears to wear out with use.
I'd plan on replacing everything in the front diff.

the axle shaft wasn't out, just messed up where the U-Joint wouldn't fit, so no U-Joint.

I hope it doesn't come down to replacing everything in the front diff... That will be quite costly.

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio
Was the drivers side stub shaft in place? You would have had ear to ear contact if it was. If you didn't, water and grim could have gotten in to the wheel bearings.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
??? I must be sleeping here and missed a key piece of information..How on earth did a stock D44 move something down the road with only one front axle in the first place? Fairly tight factory trac-loc maybe?..but I seriously doubt that. Were the inner and outer axles left in place on the side with no u-joint? Hub locked on that side or not?

In any event, take the five minutes that it takes to pull the dif cover before taking the hour and a half it takes to change out the axles and service the wheel bearings.....a process that should be done at least once a year anyway (or after any deep water/mud wheeling).

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hope it doesn't come down to replacing everything in the front diff... That will be quite costly.

If it's a stock D44..replacing everything in the center section will cost ya about whatever gas money or UPS charges there are to get it to you.

But now would be the time to upgrade to a selectable locker..;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
??? I must be sleeping here and missed a key piece of information..How on earth did a stock D44 move something down the road with only one front axle in the first place? Fairly tight factory trac-loc maybe?..but I seriously doubt that. Were the inner and outer axles left in place on the side with no u-joint? Hub locked on that side or not?

In any event, take the five minutes that it takes to pull the dif cover before taking the hour and a half it takes to change out the axles and service the wheel bearings.....a process that should be done at least once a year anyway (or after any deep water/mud wheeling).

I am with you, I is confused also?:?

BroncoMarc

Loc.
BroncOhio

That's where I started to go with my reply. An open diff wouldn't pull just on one side. But then I thought about it and if the stub was in place there would be ear to ear contact and it would supply some power to the pass side. But it would make a heck of a racket and probably bust the ears off the axle.