• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana20 rear output failure

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Ouch!, Now I know why they sell the stronger aftermarket output shafts.

With no front shaft yet (broke it at the 40th) I got my neighbors to help push it back into the driveway.

Just happened, Don't ask.. Trying to do somethin' stupid on my part%)

Attachments

• DSC01497.JPG
    DSC01497.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC01498.JPG
    DSC01498.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC01499.JPG
    DSC01499.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 262

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Taz will be done with his three engine swaps pretty soon and he will give you a hand fixing it.;D

Some days you just know you your time would have been better spent fishing!

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
We pulled another drivetrain early this evening....Motor, trans, and T-case in one pull. Cut the core support to keep it low. Much better than on my back trying to get the Dana20. After getting what I needed I dropped the motor back in the parts rig.

Can the rear sub assembly come out as a whole of the Dana20 without removing anything else?

I know I need to watch for the input roller bearings and keep them for falling in the case..

Attachments

• DSC01500.JPG
    DSC01500.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01501.JPG
    DSC01501.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01502.JPG
    DSC01502.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01503.JPG
    DSC01503.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 90

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Madgyver said:
Can the rear sub assembly come out as a whole of the Dana20 without removing anything else?

I know I need to watch for the input roller bearings and keep them for falling in the case..

The only way to it that I know of Mad. I usually carry na rear sub-assy around as a spare, with the bearings taped in to the end of the shaft.

When you are taking it out..the bearings 'want' to stay with the output assy..I have not had any fall out on me yet.

'course I'm not silly enough to leave a stock D-20 behind a Clevo either..:p ;D

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Wow!, How this for timing?

I broke it yesterday and today I get a big box delivered with this inside....;D

Although it's for another project I may use it for now.

Attachments

• DSC01506.JPG
    DSC01506.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 241

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
mad, what happened to make it break? i'm just curious because i've thought about replacing mine just so i'd have a stronger one. i've been known to lite the tires up, and that's not easy.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
73stallion said:
mad, what happened to make it break? i'm just curious because i've thought about replacing mine just so i'd have a stronger one. i've been known to lite the tires up, and that's not easy.
You were right the 1st time.....dumpin' the clutch..%)

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
It could be worse.....
Attached Thumbnails
I have always been confused by this picture saddleup posts. If this is a Bronco Dana 20 why did the output break off the drop side and not the rear output side?

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I have always been confused by this picture saddleup posts. If this is a Bronco Dana 20 why did the output break off the drop side and not the rear output side?
That's the backside of the front output that blew out...

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I am willing to bet those spring rockers put that thing in a bind and caused it to snap. I know you'd expect the rear u-joint to fail first, but I ran spring rockers on the first 2 trail rides after I had my bronco together. I did the same thing. I snapped that output shaft while climbing a relatively steep incline and on the throttle lightly. Definitely not the force you'd expect to snap an output. How you break an output is with the throttle to the floor on a rocky hill climb and you hit a bump that launches all four tires in the air and you stay in the thottle until you hit the ground.

I also notice a lot of your pictures that show the truck climbing out of slightly off-camber sitiuation and you have the front, high-side tire in the sky. The body of the truck is shifted towards the low rear tire. This is another dangerous simptom of the spring rockers.

I ditched those rockers after that second run which involved two near flips (truck rolled back over the rear low-side tire on a climb), broke a rear u-joint and repaired, and finally the output shaft failure. I hammered on my truck for another two years after that and never failed another stock output shaft. Additionally, the added stability of the truck off camber was night and day after removal.

6daze

I broke mine in Moab, a little off camber, going up a rock pile with some momentum beacuse I didn't have low enough gears. I was also running a stock length driveshaft with 3.5 leafs and 35s. All of this contributed to my failure. Good time to go Atlas I guess...

bax

Contributor
Old Member
not me. But I have seen the yoke break along with the u joint.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
I don't see how having spring rockers could break an out put shaft.
I saw a guy in Moab slowly clime up a 1 foot tall rock and broke his out put shaft It didn't hardly even make a noise. (They are over 30 years old)
I pre-ran 780 miles of the Baja as fast as I could with 37"s and spring rockers and didn't break anything.