• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dash light

BigBoss

Hey all, finishing up a complete re-wire with the American Autowire Harness 510317 for a 66 restomod and have a couple questions.

1. Installed a single-DIN touchscreen radio head unit. There is an input for illumination. I also have extra wiring for the dash label lamps as mine is a 66 and did not have the illuminated dash labels. Are the dash labels always on or turned on with the head lights? I was thinking I could wire the head unit illumination to the 12v feed of the dash labels provided the dash labels run off head lights. If they are always on, any suggestions on where to tie into head light circuit?

2. Head unit has a reverse switch input for the backup camera. I assume this is wired into the feed out to the back up lamps from the back up switch (load side of switch, not 12v ignition feed to back up lamp switch.)

Thanks!

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't think the dash label illumination became available until about '73 or so.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Dash indicator lights are controlled by the headlight switch in Parking lights mode, so yes you can use the power feed from them as a signal wire for your radio.

I would assume that the rear camera feed, needing to see 12v to activate, could use a signal from the reverse lights. Depending on your transmission, auto/manual, you will probably have to bring that feed from the engine compartment to the inside.

OP
OP
B

BigBoss

Dash indicator lights are controlled by the headlight switch in Parking lights mode, so yes you can use the power feed from them as a signal wire for your radio.

I would assume that the rear camera feed, needing to see 12v to activate, could use a signal from the reverse lights. Depending on your transmission, auto/manual, you will probably have to bring that feed from the engine compartment to the inside.
Just what I needed. Thanks!