• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash Removal

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
I need to remove the dash on my '68 to complete the welding of the kick panels and door post. How do I remove the throttle and choke cables from the dash? I did not see set screws on the knobs. Are they threaded onto the shaft? Which knobs are supposed to have set screws and which, if any, are threaded?
Thanks for the help.
DC

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Those 2 attach with a 5/8" nut from the back . Also the 2 outside heater controls use the nuts .Also disconnect them from the heater & heat valve at the engine . The heater fan , wipers & gas gauge use a set screw & the headlight switch the whole knob/rod pulls out after pushing the release button on the top of the switch . Real arm twister !

OP
OP
DCarter001

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
Thanks, I start welding in the driver's side inner fender and kick panel tomorrow (finished the passenger's side last week) and will need the dash out pretty quick so I can finish the welding and prime all those new panels. I know now is the time to rewire the whole thing, but it's not in the budget.
Thanks for the invaluable information SteveW. I would have twisted and turned until I probably needed something else that is not in the budget.
DC

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
take advantage

Take advantage of having the dash out to make any changes you might need. I highly suggest the popular glovebox-speaker reversal, just in case you ever want to install a cage.

OP
OP
DCarter001

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
JB,
Nothing fancy at this time. No thoughts for the near future either. I really want to get it all back together and find it actually works again.
DC