• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Data collection : Manual disc/disc brake combinations

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Looking to gather data from those running manual disc/disc brakes on D44 + 9inch axles with 35"+ tires please.

Don't want anything HB, vacuum or drum related. There's some good historical threads out there, but none that I found have stated data driven results.

Please provide anything you can below:

MC type

MC bore

MC stroke

Using prop valve?

Caliper application front (tbird, bronco etc)

Caliper piston quantity front

Caliper piston diameter front

Caliper application rear

Caliper piston quantity rear

Caliper piston diameter rear

Rotor diameter front

Rotor diameter rear

Pad type front (organic, composite etc)

Pad type rear

Pedal effort

Any axle mods?

Can you lock em up?

Effectiveness /Satisfaction with setup?

On/off road use?

Last edited:

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I don't have all of your details, however I used following and am 100% satisfied on and off road (some serious 4X use too):

My pedal effort is nice (even for my Bolivian wife who is 5' 120#). Off-road use is significant. 100% satisfaction.

Just of note, on a youtube from Nashville Early Bronco, he says he is installing hydroboost brakes because he is not developing enough vacuum for the booster. I live in Flagstaff (7000' elevation) and the boost is fine. In fact, I drove for a couple of years (on 31"'s) with no boost at all. I would like hydroboost, but I am fine without.

-JB

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
odd you state data driven results wanted, but then ask for satisfaction with setup. How about provide can you lock them up?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I don't have all of your details, however I used following and am 100% satisfied on and off road (some serious 4X use too):

My pedal effort is nice (even for my Bolivian wife who is 5' 120#). Off-road use is significant. 100% satisfaction.

Just of note, on a youtube from Nashville Early Bronco, he says he is installing hydroboost brakes because he is not developing enough vacuum for the booster. I live in Flagstaff (7000' elevation) and the boost is fine. In fact, I drove for a couple of years (on 31"'s) with no boost at all. I would like hydroboost, but I am fine without.

-JB
I appreciate the effort, but you're running a vacuum booster which is not manual brakes.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, I am not sure of many if any, have disks with no boost of any kind?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Sort of the point. If the setup was prevalent, I'd probably find more documentation.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Sort of the point. If the setup was prevalent, I'd probably find more documentation.
You might wind up being the “trailblazer” for this brake system. Not sure if there’s a benefit to not using vacuum assisted, but having had drums on all corners and no power assist, theres no chance I’d get rid of power disc brakes…but that’s just me.
If you do make the system the way you want it, please do a build/tech thread and post it up. There may be more than you that would do the same.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Randy

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, I am not sure of many if any, have disks with no boost of any kind?

Have a bare bones 1977 with factory disks (power nothing, lol) - but running stock size tires, so not relevant to the OP.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
You might take a look at the busted knuckle site. I just saw some brake pedals on there and they had some info about manual brakes related to master and piston size I believe. Brake pedals were 9:1, somewhere around 100$. No idea if they would fit in an EB.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also not exactly what you wanted, but I want to subscribe to your thread.

Stock original style master cylinder (for a drum brake ‘71).
Stock original distribution block (no combination/proportioning valve).
Stock’76 Ford front disc brakes.
Stock 11” rear drums with upsized cylinders.
Just 33” tires.

So not exactly the same size tires, not the same rear brakes, but at least they’re both “close” ish. 😁

By the way, I love the setup!
Good stopping power. Great feel. Good balance for my rig. Locks up the rear just a smidge before the fronts. Just the way I personally prefer.

Good luck getting your data. I’m betting there are not a lot running what you’re hoping for.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I've mentioned it before, likely in some of those legacy threads, how to size the m/c bore for any particular pedal ratio and caliper piston size (area) in manual brakes. The methodology was one that my mentor at wilwood, when I worked there, described to me, and subsequent observations have proven the method to be fairly accurate. I even have a Excel file set up to do an iterative comparison. The calculation is simple. Finding a combo that fits the constraints isn't always.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I'm working on a new thread rather than derailing this one, but now I have to go to work. So it will be this evening before I can post it.

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Ran across a 37 minute vid on BK’s site about manual brakes. 3 years old. Supposed to be a spreadsheet calculator as well but I can’t find an actual download. Either gone or an iPad won’t access it.

Brake. Video

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I started to edit my post above, and then realized that may not trigger an email notice.