• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DC & JBG price differences

73explorer

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
i've been reading in numerous posts that JBG gets their stamped sheet metal from Dennis Carpenter, and i suppose other OEM type parts also. then why such a noticable price difference between the two??? you would think that buying straight from the source would save you at least 10%! i am looking to replace some floor panels and other sheet metal and the price difference is pretty substancial. i live just 2 hours away from DC, and it would still be cheaper to buy from Jeff's and have it shipped!!!
am i missing something??

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I suggest you give DC a call and ask them Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over!

I plan to hit them with the same question on the weatherstripping. Now I did a comparison on the WS last night, and for 80% of the stuff, JBG offers it at say a $1 or $2 cheaper, but some items are much more expensive.

As always, can you share your findings!?!?!?

MnkyBiz!

OP
OP

73explorer

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
for instance:
complete floor kit (individual prices cheaper too)
JBG - $369
DC - $450

original tooled tailgate
JBG -$400
DC - $425

plus 80% of everything else, like your finding with the WS. it just seems odd, unless JBG is getting such a huge mass buy that they "pass along", and DC is catering to the "original tooled" show crowd. most of us just need good solid "affordable" stuff!

OP
OP

73explorer

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
BTW,
i plan to just drive up to DC and pick all this up, as i am saving up for a big order after i tally all the stuff up that i'll be needing, but it just bewilders me that it's not cheaper to go straight to the source supplier.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I haven't had time to call and speak yet with "Skip."

My original POC was Harvey, but he told me that he was just in charge of general sales. The guy who knows EB's inside & out is supposed to be Skip!

Give them a call, ask for Skip, and BARTER BARTER BARTER!!!!

I will be calling him around 10amish today Eastern Time!

mtn_bronco

Loc.
Leadville, Colorado
Very simple. DC is the manufacturer of MOST of those parts. They are selling at full retail as not to undercut any of their distributors. The distributors (JBG, WH, TBP, SB etc) have decided to sell at a lower cost. DC sells alot more parts through their distrubtors than they do direct.

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
MnkyBiz said:
I haven't had time to call and speak yet with "Skip."

My original POC was Harvey, but he told me that he was just in charge of general sales. The guy who knows EB's inside & out is supposed to be Skip!

Give them a call, ask for Skip, and BARTER BARTER BARTER!!!!

I will be calling him around 10amish today Eastern Time!

Skip Yule is a great guy, You'll have to ask him if he's going to come to the roundup again this year!

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
mtn_bronco said:
Very simple. DC is the manufacturer of MOST of those parts. They are selling at full retail as not to undercut any of their distributors. The distributors (JBG, WH, TBP, SB etc) have decided to sell at a lower cost. DC sells alot more parts through their distrubtors than they do direct.

Yea if DC sold cheaper than their distributors then there would be no reason to have distributors cause no one would buy from them and go right to DC. If you called DC and asked they might even tell you which one of their distributors sell for the cheapest price.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
it's about volume. when you are buying large quantities like the distributors do, the price breaks. i'm sure dc will give you a good price too if you want to buy say 30 sets of floor board kits.
it's just how it works, everyone needs to eat too.
hth
nick

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that the distributors are buying in BULK, typically, so that lowers their cost. Even with that in mind, you would think we might be able as a Mass Buy to get it somewhat close to the distributor's cost (far less than retail)...but who knows there could be a contract between DC and their distributors that stipulates that they cannot sell direct to consumers cheaper than a certain percentage of the distributor's cost from DC. I noticed Jeff's had a big weatherstrip package recently, maybe we can get them to expand it a little and give us a MB deal??? Just an idea.

U

Unregistered

mtn_bronco said:

I would say this is the reason. Dont piss off your channel. Let the channel sell cheaper and the channel will continue to sell your stuff. If the channel stops selling your stuff, fewer people will see and buy your stuff. Gotta have the distributors and got to keep them happy.

66horse

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
If youve ever done any business with Dennis Carpenter personally you would know why. Thats all I have to say without burning any bridges down behind me.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
make sure you talk to someone human first about whats in stock, theres some items on over a month backorder such as flooring you wont find this info on the web site

72Burro

Loc.
Ca
Generally, manufactures are not set up for good customer service to the end customer ( that's us) They focus their efforts on their core competency which is mass production. DC could cut out all the distis and sell direct to us, but costs would be higher due to the amount of customer service , tech people and logistics services they would need to provide to all of us.

BroncoZone.com

It's all about volume, JBG spends more with DC than any other Bronco Vendor giving the best savings which are passed down to the customer.

Dana

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I concur with many of the earlier posts. Most manufacturers and distributors have an understanding with retailers that they do not undercut the retail price and, ultimately, take business away from their own customers. Manufacturers and distributors primarily sell to retail customers who comprise the vast majority of their business. It is an important relationship to maintain and not worth destroying over a handful of orders that don't generate that much profit anyway.

Imagine if you owned your own bronco business and purchased parts from a particular supplier, only to find that your business partner was selling those same parts wholesale direct to the public and undercutting your own business. Now you're most likley stuck with inventory you can't sell unless you're willing to slash prices to match, probably to the point that you'd be losing money. You'd most likely drop them as a supplier and shop elsewhere. Retailers perform an important function in expanding the availability of a manufacturer's product and ultimately customer base. Without retailers a manufacturer would not get the same exposure for a product, which means that they must be fair to each other in sharing profits.