• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dealing with sus lift and high pinion

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going to put a high pinion D44 in my EB, but I don't want any suspension lift. I already have 3 in BL and tilt front end with no fender wells. How about putting some 1x2 rectangle tubing between the motor mount and the block to get some oil pan clearance? Would I need to raise the T case also or would it be ok to run the power train at that angle? I have done the trigonomety to know what angle it would run at but it couldn't be that much could it? Surely the extra angle wouldn't be to harsh on old motor mounts...

TN1776

Bronco Guru
You are going to need to limit your up travel to almost nothing to make this work, so I am not sure what your end goal here is. I would not want to raise the motor mounts but if you do that, you're going to have to raise the transmission/t-case cross member to get it sitting level or close to it. Otherwise you're going to have a big angle on the front t-case output, since it will now be angled up. I think you are getting yourself into a lot of problems going this route.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for your input, but, honestly, i don't like your answer... lol.

So now... I think i'll just build an offset oil pan that hangs about 3 feet to the side to give plenty clearance...????

Lift kits are expensive if you want the truck to drive right and I don't have a lot of money to spend. Looking for some more creative ideas.

Last edited:

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Reshape your oil pan...by beating on it with a high pinion front axel...that should save money...LOL..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Even with 3.5in of lift the axle will hit the pan slightly. While you can raise the engine and tranny I really dont think thats the best answer. sure its cheap but thats about it. Its your rig do what you want. I'd go with the suspension route myself really not reason for a HP D44 without a lift. Might want to save your money and do it right instead of doing it twice.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Thanks for your input, but, honestly, i don't like your answer... lol.

So now... I think i'll just build an offset oil pan that hangs about 3 feet to the side to give plenty clearance...????

Lift kits are expensive if you want the truck to drive right and I don't have a lot of money to spend. Looking for some more creative ideas.

To each his own man. Just giving you my honest input and opinion; I really think you're asking for problems going this route. I'd stick with the low pinion axle for now until you've got the money to put into a suspension lift. As others have said even a 3.5" suspension lift is tight with a high pinion axle.

OP
OP
Boss Hugg

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, as usual, I've been trying to do something that everyone else finds useless...

I'm going to 8 lug axles because I might be building a wrecker out of this thing. I feel like the 9" small bearing that I have is not adequate for the weight I'd be putting on the axles. I have these 3/4 T axles a lot cheaper than I could find a BB 9". Also the front axle already has disc brakes and I have an old 1T with discs that i can fab onto the D60 rear cheaper than buying a kit. Like free cheap.

But all this talk about the HP not working without lift is making me want to go rob a bank to get money to buy disc setups for front and rear.