• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Defrost/heater

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I recently replaced the defrost hoses (what a pain, hope they stay on) but I was wondering if I wanted to install a couple extra vents how would I do that? Do you have to purchase a different heater box or do you tap into the existing hoses?

If you have photos of your set up I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Is it possible to add vents under the dash and still have the defrost?

Sonny

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
it has floor heat, but are you looking to put vents on the bottom of the dash to blow on you? If so i think an extra chamber to create a 3rd option

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you tap into the defrost ducts to feed other vent openings you would likely reduce the effectiveness of an already ineffective defrost system. It's not exactly a powerhouse already.
But you would not necessarily want air blowing out at the passengers when the defrost is on anyway unless you think that additional flow direction will help the defrost function?. Probably better to open up some new ports in the side of the plenum and run your new vent hoses from there.

If you just want heat to come out of the floor register and the defrost ports at the same time, you simply pull the Defrost knob out half way. Or any variation thereof...

If you're thinking of cooler air in the summer, you have your floor vent on the driver's side of course, but you can also use the heater system for a little extra at your feet as well. It's not super powerful, but if you just leave the TEMP knob pushed all the way in to cold, but pull the heater control knob (the one that says "pull for heat") all the way out, your passenger side inlet for the heater system acts like a fresh air vent. So you would get a general flow in the foot wells, and then the larger venting flow from the driver's vent door, and then some more perhaps using the wing vent windows.

But as a defrost option, I'd leave it as is and use the heater flow instead. And if you have not already then use one of the heater blower motor upgrades (like this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Heat_Blaster_Kit/Bronco_Heater_Parts and others) to get more flow volume.

I figure anything you can do to make the defrost ducting more efficient is a good thing. I'd like to see a diffuser focus the air flow in a more broad pattern so you don't get two small circles of clear windshield and then wait 10 minutes for the rest to clear up!

Paul

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Thank you for the replies.

That is the frustrating thing with the defrost vents....they dont work .

I found a tech article for the Heater Craft 200, has anyone I stalled this, pros/cons? What would you do different? Did you just hook it up to your defrost or did you add additional ports with vents for heat? Approximately how long did the install take? Looks like the tech article is pretty detailed.

Photos of install?

Sonny

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Is the " door " that directs heat to either the defrost or to the floor connected and working/moving ?

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I was going to check that out. I was thinking while I was at it might as well change the seals, I have read that could also contribute to the problem.

Do any of the auto part stores sell real seal kits for our EBs or are the kits only available through the EB vendors?

Sonny