• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

deisel

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i hope jon doesn't move this, but someone put a mercedes diesel in a bronco.

*** Admin Edit: Removed ebay link to Bronco for sale, but put up photos and info so discussion on diesel could stay here in Bronco Chat instead of being moved to the Classifieds.

Description from the ebay ad:

1974 Ford Bronco with Mercedes SDL Turbodiesel Engine

This is a very fun, one-of-a-kind vehicle that turns head wherever it goes. It is two wheel drive but could be converted to four wheel drive with a transfer case. The engine is a 1987 Mercedes 300 SDL turbodiesel putting out 143 hp with unknown mileage. It came out of a Mercedes sedan. These engines are known to be pretty much bulletproof and can run forever with proper maintenance and are one of the best candidates to run on vegetable oil due to their simple design. I am not the original owner. The previous owner was a Nissan mechanic and was the one who did the engine swap. The engine gets great fuel economy at 25-30 mpg with a 31 gallon fuel capacity and travels at highway speeds just fine.

!CEB8cC!BGk~$%28KGrHqMOKo4E0WWw-6LiBNQhZ1NT8w~~_12.JPG

!CEB8Z+gEWk~$%28KGrHqEOKisE0oFnFdNcBNQhZt1FU!~~_12.JPG

!CEB80o!!mk~$%28KGrHqMOKpwE0Vs,ugp0BNQhbHNqKw~~_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

knack

Contributor
Looks like that engine fits in there pretty nicely.

blue bronc

Loc.
Fort worth
Looks like a good fit. I saw that last week and was wondering what the biggest draw back to doing a swap like that would be compared to a 4bolt?
Is it just cost of engine?

70_Steve

Old Guy
...was wondering what the biggest draw back to doing a swap like that would be compared to a 4bolt?
Some might consider 2WD a drawback.

" It is two wheel drive but could be converted to four wheel drive with a transfer case."

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
DAIMLER W123 300TD ... best diesel eng ever !!!

Last edited:

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some might consider 2WD a drawback.

" It is two wheel drive but could be converted to four wheel drive with a transfer case."
I saw this also, I would guess he also used the tranny from the car, I doubt anyone makes an adapter to fit that motor to a Bronco tranny, I don't know, just a guess. I'm sure there is some kind of adapter to somthing that would allow the use of a t-case but who knows what it would be. However I have never studied up on diesel motors in a Bronco

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
there's no t-case shifter, no front driveshaft, and i don't see a t-case hanging. guess we know why he might need a winch.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
3.0 liter , I6 , 188 PS (138 kW; 185 hp) 260 N·m (192 lb·ft)

the turbo makes all the difference !!!

ps: ... you could use the trans and t-case from the G Wagon !!
its bin done once before ... see broncodriver mag. !

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
My father has a 2008 ML with a diesel engine. I have been dreaming of dropping that engine in a Bronco. Lots of torque, and very smooth. Quiet too. One day.....

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Seems like alot of work to not have 4x4? I know the mileage is good and they are tuff motors but I like the bronco because it has 4 wheel drive.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'd say the best of that one would be the noise factor not being what mine is . But we'd need a 4x4 for sure. Before I di mine we had a 5cyl sprinter motor the techs kept wanting me to us but I thought it'd cost to much more than mine did.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
wonder why they removed the front corss memember vs doing a mod to it and keep the front end strength.
interesting conversion

cap35b

Loc.
Tucson Az
I Am looking at the Isuzu as well. But What do you think about going to the 700r4 it has really cheep adaptors and add the adaptor to the d20 and you are set. The ford adaptors are going to be a bit pricy.

buddy at work just put one in a yota wagon. Pretty straight forward and should be a good and tight fit.

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
since i already spent the money on a NV3550, i'd rather just get the ford kit. but ya the 700R4 is a strong enough tranny, and the adapter kits are out there.

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
4x4labs makes an adaptor kit for the 5cyl mercedes to GM transmissions. They cater to the LC crowd, but I'm sure you could get one into a bronco (and keep the front driveshaft %) ) with enough time and money