• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

deisel

TYBronco

Loc.
Corbett, OR
Check out mercedesdiesel4x4.com if you are interested in putting a Mercedes diesel in an early Bronco. They currently specialize in putting them in Jeeps, but they are working on adapters for Fords and others, and their prices seem pretty reasonable. I would like to upgrade my '69 Bronco to an AX-15/NV3550 anyways, so I was thinking of getting their adaptor for Mercedes OM617 diesel to AX15 tranny, then elsewhere I have seen adaptors for the AX15 to Bronco D20 transfer case. Would just need to figure out motor mounts. The stock ratings for the OM617 engine is around 125hp/175ftlbs, you can up the power to a good 150hp with free mods, I've heard the stock engine will handle up to about 250hp reliably. There is a company called Myna (in Finland?) that modifies the injector pumps for these OM617 engines to put out some decent power, and I think they even make them user adjustable so you could adjust for better mpg/power. Oh yeah, these engines came in early 80's 300 series Mercedes, so there are tons of them out there for cheap (I've seen entire cars for $500), and the engines easily last a good 500,000 miles, supposedly one of the longest lasting diesels out there.

TYBronco

Loc.
Corbett, OR
Update: Mercedes4x4 site now has prototype adapters for ford Automatics, as well as adjustable motor mounts for the OM617 (3.0l Mercedes turbodiesel).

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I looked at a bronco in Indiana that had a 5 cylinder Mercedes benz diesel from a car in it. The owner claimed the tranny was from the car, and was an almost bolt up fit to a transfer case from a unimog. It also had unimog axles. Lots of firewall hacking and frame hacking to get it all in from what I saw. This was several years back(09), and no camera.. Quality of the hack job was definitley a 1, but the cool facter busted a 10!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
IIRC the Mercedes diesels will mate to a ZF auto which is mated to some decent transfer cases in the Land Rovers like the Defender. They are no NP205's but they will hold up, IIRC they are Borg units. I don't remember the drop on the Defender it's been a while since I had mine. Also the Mercedes diesels have one weird aspect to them, they are balanced by the flywheel, so you have to have it machined to bring a ford flywheel to weight to balance it, nothing major, just something to be aware of. There is a lot of aftermarket performance support for these engines. I have seen people pushing 350 HP out of them.

Edit I am wrong about the ZF, I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was a bolt up. The 4wd Mercedes transmission is called a W211, if someone ever wanted to go that route, they can be picked up on ebay for $500 to $700.

Last edited:

jlewan001

Loc.
Thorp, WI
My brother is putting a an OM603 six cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel into a 98 Dodge Dakota and mating it to the dodge 5 speed tranny. He claims it would be the same amount of work to mate it to a Ford transmission.
I'll post some pics on here of his work mounting the flywheel etc.

I saw the engine run. It runs a lot smoother than the Cummins 4bt I have in my '72 Bronco.

Krawlin5

diesel

There was one forsale in Aiken Sc last year on Craigslist but it was 2wd no transfercase. Wish I still had pics.