• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Deposits under valve cover help!

BorderBronco

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Took the valve cover off the 170 to replace the gasket that was leaking. Inside all along the edges next to the lifters and springs were crusty deposits of dried oil(?) or carbon deposits (?). I removed as much as I could. Is there a spray or something I can use to try and clean it up before putting the cover back on. I have no clue as to when then cover was last off.
Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
probably never been off. Overtime sluge builds up in engine mostly due to oils are wax based. Other than your current cleaning I wouldnt put anything in the engine to help clean it more as it can loosen more sludge up that you cant see and possible block the oil pump or oil filter then you'll either sieze the engine due to lack of oil or send lots of bad stuff through the oil system which will increase wear.