• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Fire - Under Dash

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, we know a few things.
A severely melted wire like you’re describing is the result of a dead short circuit to ground. Or if it’s already a ground wire, then positive voltage was applied to it.
So if it’s a ground wire for the radio, and it touched the accessory stud on the ignition switch, then that is indeed your culprit.
Hopefully the wire was a smaller “sacrificial” gauge and it’s the only thing damaged.
Most of the other circuits attached to the Black with green wire on the back of the ignition switch are in the fuse panel.
At the very least then, if you have not already, inspect and/or test the accessory fuses.

If the ignition switch is not damaged, just turn it on. Sit there and look under the dash while you turn the key to ACC first, and see if anything is out of sorts.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

From what I’m seeing in your video, the wiring that burned up seems to all be for the aftermarket stereo, and none of the factory wiring was damaged. Unhook all of the stereo wiring and get it out of the way so you can see the dash wiring better. Also, that wire with the fork terminal on it was most likely a ground wire. If it touched the post on the back of the switch, it would definitely look like it does now. I used to install stereo systems as a side gig back in the day, and a lot of aftermarket head units would have a terminal like that installed on the ground wire.
Weird thing is, the radio would still power up (but non-functional because no speakers). So if the ground was off, I wouldnt expect the display to show up?

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

Well, we know a few things.
A severely melted wire like you’re describing is the result of a dead short circuit to ground. Or if it’s already a ground wire, then positive voltage was applied to it.
So if it’s a ground wire for the radio, and it touched the accessory stud on the ignition switch, then that is indeed your culprit.
Hopefully the wire was a smaller “sacrificial” gauge and it’s the only thing damaged.
Most of the other circuits attached to the Black with green wire on the back of the ignition switch are in the fuse panel.
At the very least then, if you have not already, inspect and/or test the accessory fuses.

If the ignition switch is not damaged, just turn it on. Sit there and look under the dash while you turn the key to ACC first, and see if anything is out of sorts.
is there a way to "cap" off that stud terminal so wires don't hit it and short out?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. I mentioned it earlier where you can put a short length of rubber hose over it. Easy Peezy.
You could probably even use a vacuum cap, but those aren’t known for living long lives after they’re exposed to air.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

Yes. I mentioned it earlier where you can put a short length of rubber hose over it. Easy Peezy.
You could probably even use a vacuum cap, but those aren’t known for living long lives after they’re exposed to air.
I missed post #10. A piece of heat shrink, closed shut on the end would be a clean solution. I did that on other exposed/unused wires