• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Desperately needing help-stolen Bronco/trashed

whoopeerabbit

I'm not sure which thread this would be best to post on...I need help ASAP.

For nearly 10 years my '71 has been at a mechanic's for repairs to the tranny and brakes. It was in great running condition when I first took it there. New 302 (less than 35,000 miles), wear and tear to the bod, a rusted through spot on the passenger floor, plus the hood needed replaced. He was supposed to fix the trans and in exchange for some taxidermy work on my part. I also traded him a Toyota Pickup with a slipping transmission in exchange for the brake work.

Right after we made the arrangement, I was diagnosed with cancer, went through a nasty divorce and had to close the studio. The mechanic was well aware of the entire situation, and at all times knew where his antlers, etc were. I had attempted to contact him several times since and never could catch him home; during the interim, he moved the Bronc to his field, and there it sat, with no work being done.

A little less than three years ago, he showed up at my gate wanting to know if I still wanted my Bronco (???still WANTED IT???). I told him I most certainly DID. Took him back to the new workshop to show him his mount. All it needed was a touch of finish work and a good dusting off. I didn't hear back from him after that. I did drive over to his place (where I had dropped the Bronc off at) several times, but couldn't see it anywhere.

Well, this last week I met him and his wife at the local Walmart, where he told me that the Bronco was nothing but trash, a fender had fallen off and a tree had grown up through the floor. He said he had it hauled off, tough luck, as it was GONE. He never did ANY of the work. We found the junk yard where the remains are supposed to be, and will be there first thing in the AM with a title copy in hand.

In a nutshell, he has had my Bronco all this time, never did any work on it; he neglected it, took the Toyota and traded it off, and I have nothing. What I figure it adds up to is Grand Theft Auto, and if possible, I will file charges. If the salvage yard has any identifyable remains, I think that the owner will be liable for receiving stolen property.

BTW, he laughed at me when I was standing aghast, and told me that the remains were now worthless. His wife chirped in to tell me that any engine that had set up for so long would be froze up and useless.

Anyone out in Broncoland have any feedback or suggestions? What value should I present to the sheriff's department? What kind of basic salvage value would a '71 have, since we all know how hard the parts are to find? How can I get anything back? I'm screwed!

Any kind of suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, all!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Sad to say but I think as soon as the law gets involved he will produce a lien that gave him ownership and the Bronco was sold to cover almost 10 years of storage fees.

Got any pictures of this Bronco? We like Pictures.

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
Man I'm sorry. I would try all options after locating it in the mourning, I hope. It may be hard to press charges since it sat at his place for so long. Best of luck to you.

musejasong

Loc.
Cincinnati, OH
I am sorry man. I am no lawyer, but I would say you would have a hard time pursuing this seeing as you left it on his property for 10 years. I would leave nothing I cared about on somebody elses lot for more than 6 months. Truly sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you find your Bronco.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
dude after 10 years i would have had it haulled off too. sorry that you have had a rough go at things but that really is not his concern.

I would take it as a lesson learned and look for another bronco. After sitting 10 years and a good portion of that time out in the elements i am sure it is alot worse then it was when you dropped it off.

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
as a guy who owned an automotive repair business myself i hate to say that what revelation said is correct. you wont have much of a legal leg to stand on due to the length of time you let it stay there.

SurfCityEB66

Contributor
as a guy who owned an automotive repair business myself i hate to say that what revelation said is correct. you wont have much of a legal leg to stand on due to the length of time you let it stay there.

True and I agree...but he did say he never did any work even after he made an "arrangement" with the Toyota and taxidermy as payment. It seems whooperabbit was attempting to make payment while the mechanic failed to live up to his end of the contract. Wouldn't that be the Mechanics problem when it comes to storage....maybe there's something to start with....Just a thought....

OP
OP
W

whoopeerabbit

This guy has always known where I was, and has made himself hard to contact. I have had the same address and phone number all the time. This is south Texas, by the way, where we have a fairly low rainfall rate. He couldn't have a mechanic's lein, as there has never been any work done on it. No actual mechanic's shop-I realize now that he is a 'shadetree mechanic'. It wasn't supposed to be stored out in the weather, but should have been kept in good condition. After he moved my Bronc to the field, I couldn't access it because he has dogs. I turned down good money for my 'baby' just before I sent it off, and have witnesses to it's condition.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Unless there was a written contract I'd say you're probably screwed. I don't know the laws in your state but I seriously doubt any criminal charges can be filed as well. You can file a civil suit for the value of the bronco but storage fees will probably more than offset the value. I would talk to a civil lawyer and go from there.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Apparently I do know the laws in your state since you're in Texas ;D

I took a report for almost the exact same thing about a month ago, lemme talk to the detective who worked it and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

OP
OP
W

whoopeerabbit

When the vehicle was 'out of sight', I thought he was either working on it, or had it under cover. Last contact was on or about Aug. 22, 2008. I double-checked my journal. That was the approximate date that he asked whether or not I still wanted it back.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Here's some details from the report I was referring to, like I said they're fairly similar.

- no contractual agreement
- vehicle was "stored" at a mechanic shop for almost two years
- the now former manager sold the vehicle to a scrap yard
- owner of the vehicle never gave permission for manager to sell it

I don't have experience "investigating" those types of cases but I know what the law says. Under Texas penal code the person has to "unlawfully appropriate" the property with the "intention of depriving it from the owner." The unlawfully appropriate portion is where I think you might run into a problem. You gave possession of the vehicle to the other person (with the intention of him fixing it, but non the less gave him possession). I honestly think he may have a claim of storage fees and may make the claim that it was abandoned. This will be hard for you to dispute if there was no paperwork done.

Again, I will talk to the detective who investigated the particular case that I took the report on but I don't think you're gonna come out on top. That may depend on your DA's office as well. Some "overburdened" DA's offices only take certain cases and dismiss others. If you live in a county with a small population your chances of pursuing charges are better.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
That's not to say that you can't file a civil suit against the other party, I'm just talking criminal charges.

By the way there no "grand theft auto" charge in Texas... It would be theft and the level of charge whether it be anything from a class c misdemeanor up to a 1st degree felony is dictated by the dollar amount the stolen property is worth.

mavman427

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
If you let somebody hold on to something for 10 years and don't bother to get an agreement in writing, no offense but you deserve what happened. It's the same old story, if you want something to turn out a certain way, be proactive about it. Instead, you sat back and let it sit in some guy's field for 10 years and now you want it back? It doesn't even make any sense.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
If you let somebody hold on to something for 10 years and don't bother to get an agreement in writing, no offense but you deserve what happened. It's the same old story, if you want something to turn out a certain way, be proactive about it. Instead, you sat back and let it sit in some guy's field for 10 years and now you want it back? It doesn't even make any sense.

I was trying to see it the OP's way, but this statement above about mirrors my sentiment. I hope that you find another truck...and I hope you are able to take better care of it. Good luck.

ransil

Bronco Guru
send him a bill for the mount to cover the cost of the Bronco. Mount $500 storage fees $5K

OP
OP
W

whoopeerabbit

Well, I dug through all my back paperwork and found our original agreement, as well as a dated photo of his mount in progress. Since I kept him apprised of my health problems, etc...he said time wasn't a factor, as he'd get around to the work sooner or later.

As far as being able to regain 'posession', he made himself impossible to contact. I have a thing about large, loose-running dogs between me and a gate where a note could be left, and I refuse to simply leave a mounted deer sitting beside someone's garage for dogs to chew on. He was supposed to come by and pick up his deer as soon as the repairs were made, and give me back the keys at that time.

Guess I am screwed, trusting a body like that. I'm out the Toyo as well. I will be visiting the SO just in case there is recourse. Will be looking for another '71 this spring and will guard it like mad. Thanks, guys, for letting me see that I'm such an idiot.

OP
OP
W

whoopeerabbit

Ehem...now that I think of it, cold storage doesrun about a grand a year for a head that size. Sounds like civil suit/countersuit. I hate litigation.