• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detail pictures of the top corner brace of Steel Top

OB71Sport

Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I could bother one of you to post a picture or give me some approximate dimensions for the gusset bracket where the lift gate weatherstripping is glued to on the 69 and up tops? The early tops have a square opening at the top of the lift gate but the 69 and later have an extra gusset that looks to be about 45 degrees. I just bought a new Dynacorn top kit and they don't come with this piece and I have to fabricate one. I don't have my original top any longer. (71 Sport) In addition, I am trying to determine the following:

1) Is the flange on the top where the weatherstrip is glued to in the same plane as the flanges of the sides or does the top flange flange sit behind the flanges of the sides?
2) If the three flanges are in the same plane...are they notched or mitered where they meet?
3) Is the gusset plate behind, in front, or in the same plane as the flanges of the top and side?
4) Horizontal distance from inside side wall to the edge of gusset (H).
5) Vertical distance from the underside of top where liftgate is bolted to, to the edge of gusset (V).

I found the excellent write up of insulating the top from Whoaa, that had a lot of really good pictures of this area but the Photobucket picture resolution is very low and doesn't let me Zoom in. You can see I also have heck a fit issue to deal with. I called Dynacorn yesterday and they let me know they have shipped hundreds of these top kits and that no one has ever complained of a fit problem....So I guess it is just my lucky day. (LOL)
Thanks in advance,
Oscar

Attachments

• Gusset dims.jpg
    Gusset dims.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here a few not-so detailed pics, taken when removing some PO over-enthusiastic application of adhesive. Can take more pics and provide measurements tomorrow.
First two pics taken from inside the hardtop, last one from outside.
IMG_3880.jpeg IMG_3879.jpeg IMG_3878.png

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m of the opinion that if you know your angle (if it’s not 90*) all you’re doing with the piece is keeping the corner from racking. As long as the ‘legs’ of the triangle are at least 5”, it shouldn’t matter how large a piece you make.
At least that’s my theory.

Randy

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here’s some additional photos. The piece is formed to be on the same plane as the side and top edges.

There is also another triangular piece in the top corner of the hardtop. It is notched to accommodate the headliner.

Lmk if there’s any other pics/angles needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3890.jpeg
    IMG_3890.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3889.jpeg
    IMG_3889.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3881.jpeg
    IMG_3881.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3892.jpeg
    IMG_3892.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3887.jpeg
    IMG_3887.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3886.mov
    1 MB
  • IMG_3885.jpeg
    IMG_3885.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3884.jpeg
    IMG_3884.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3882.jpeg
    IMG_3882.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3883.jpeg
    IMG_3883.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3891.jpeg
    IMG_3891.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
O

OB71Sport

Contributor
LUBr LuvR and Randy...thank you both so much.!!! These pictures are perfect. The part is a bit more intricate than I originally imagined. Looks to be stamped with an offset along the edges so the web will be inline with the two other flanges...plus i never notice the subtle radii near both ends. This makes sense to allow more gradual transition for the weatherstripping. The top panel kit did come with the two little triangle gusset where the headliner meets. The side wall kits each come with the bed stake and the triangle gusset at the rear of the door opening and roof panel intersection. I guess they decided it is not worth it to make two stamping tools (mirror image parts required) just for these two gussets I am taking lots of pictures and will try to document what I doing. Thanks again...enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Oscar