• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit Electrac Adjustment ????

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I know for searching the archives that a few of you are running Electrac's.....cough, cough.....Steve......Mr. Joe.....

I bought a used one and was told that it worked properly before (resonable confident about that claim).
So here's the problem, No locking.
The solenoid workd fine, I can hear it. I can feel the limited slip working (steering wheel feedback).
I followed all the installation instructions to the letter.
When I get a front tire off the gound, the other stops spinning.
Any ideas on how to get it adjusted properly?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
There is a two page sheet solely about adjusting it that used to be on Tractech's web site. It was easy to find before Eaton bought Tractech. I just searched the web for it and came up empty. Fortunately I have a hard copy of it in front of me. :cool:

PM me your email address and I'll scan it tomorrow and email it to you.

One other important thing is that you cannot use oil with any friction modifiers in it, which all synthetics have as do many higher quality gear oils. Find some cheap oil without any kind of additives (I buy it from NAPA for <$6/gallon.) If you've filled it already with oil with additives you need to pull it out, wash it out with diesel and then use the right oil. Yes, really! That came from a buddy who used to work for Tractech. Once I adjusted it properly and used el-cheapo oil it's worked great for several years now.

OP
OP
bronko69er

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I did use el-cheepo oil, non-synthetic, $9.99 a gallon at schucks, not even a name brand. I also had the addendum instructions, steps 5a,b,c,d...... which I followed to the letter. Is this the sheet you are referring to?

Wouldn't the wrong oil just effect the function of the limited slip though?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Yep, those are the correct instructions. Remember that it's a geared LS when unlocked, so no clutches. For whatever reason a friction additive can prevent it from locking up. I know a couple of other people who had that problem. A tech who helped design them is who told me to wash it out with diesel fuel and use el-cheapo oil. I haven't had a problem since.

If you take the actuator off does it lock? It should be locked with the actuator off.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Quick way to troubleshoot is to take the actuator off. It should be locked then. If it is, the problem is in the adjustment. If not, it's inside (e.g. shift fork not engaged properly or sticking on the plunger, etc.)

Good luck!

One thing you'll find out is that you will rarely have to lock it. I do some pretty extreme rock crawling, and I don't lock it very often. Since it's a geared LS it works pretty good, and if you apply just a bit of brakes it will turn both front wheels when it's unlocked. I usually try obstacles with it unlocked and only if I can't make it, which is pretty rare, do I lock it.