• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit ElecTrac™

planetbronco

Loc.
Brighton, Colorado
Just dropped my 76' off with Eric at Wild West Off Road to get the new Detroit ElecTrac installed. They claim I got the "last one" from the warehouse, so I'm assuming someone else out there has installed one in their beast. <br>I checked the Tractech site for info., and they did have anything but a paragraph that said they were still working on them and would release in a few months. Anyone installed one and have anything good/bad to say about them, or know where I can read up on them?

OP
OP
planetbronco

planetbronco

Loc.
Brighton, Colorado
[quote author=broncobsession link=board=5;threadid=10212;start=0#73909 date=1034721673]<br>What's it gonna run you including installation?<br>[/quote]<br>About $1,100... cheaper than a Air Locker, and I've hear of people having problems with the cable type lockers.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Cool...not too bad. I am too scared to try it on mine because of the need for special tools, but if the quote was too high it would scare me to learn to do it myself. ;D

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have installed one in the D-44 but do not have it in the EB yet. The diff looks good, my only <br>concerns are the bolts holding the guard on and the guard it's self, I think that the bolts will be hit by<br> the tierod as the steering is turned and the guard will need to be braced to keep it from breaking the<br> solenoid off when you hit a rock. The bolts can be replaced with countersink screws and a brace<br> added no big deal but it needs to be done.

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
Planetbronco: Let us know your impressions of Wild West Off Road. I've got a D44 on the floor of my garage that I want to rebuild this winter and would like to find a good shop to set up the gears / locker. Too bad Eaton hasn't rolled out their electric lockers more quickly. I like thier design better, no solenoid on the outside of the diff.

tonto

Bronco Guru
Is the solenoid on the outside of the diff cover? And kind of low?<br>If so I think I saw one on a friend of John Curries rig at Curries yesterday.<br>If that’s the same locker that solenoid is rock bait and makes a good argument to go with the cable locker with the additional benefit of the heavy duty diff cover.<br>Any pictures of the Electra-locker anywhere?<br>Later, Francois.<br>

JMurray

Well I`m going to chime in here,<br>I have been going to Eric over at Wild West since it was Eric`s Bronco & even though do not have an auful lot done by him, everything he has done has been top notch, & price has been very reasonable.<br>I just had a true trac, put in & regear the front. And hat a front trackbar bolt replaced 125.00<br>Eric at Wild West & Rob at Blue Oval get my money when I need the big stuff. <br>Jerry

OP
OP
planetbronco

planetbronco

Loc.
Brighton, Colorado
[quote author=mgweiss link=board=5;threadid=10212;start=0#74154 date=1034780524]<br>Planetbronco: Let us know your impressions of Wild West Off Road. I've got a D44 on the floor of my garage that I want to rebuild this winter and would like to find a good shop to set up the gears / locker. Too bad Eaton hasn't rolled out their electric lockers more quickly. I like thier design better, no solenoid on the outside of the diff.<br>[/quote]<br>I've been going to Wild West for about 2 years now and could'nt be happier ;D... my Bronce will never see Mr. Goodwrench. I only go to shops that actually drive/own broncos. Until I ran across Eric, I found I did a better job myself (I used to use another shop in the high country here but they do mostly J@#p$ now and were pricey). He built a hell of a rear-end for me and so far the only problem I've had is the parking-brake on the disc conversion doesn't hold (I'm sure he'll fix it while he has it). I'm even considering having him do an EFI swap for me (got about 200K on the original and drive it about 500 miles a week).

OP
OP
planetbronco

planetbronco

Loc.
Brighton, Colorado
[quote author=tonto link=board=5;threadid=10212;start=0#74177 date=1034784827]<br>Is the solenoid on the outside of the diff cover? And kind of low?<br>If so I think I saw one on a friend of John Curries rig at Curries yesterday.<br>If that’s the same locker that solenoid is rock bait and makes a good argument to go with the cable locker with the additional benefit of the heavy duty diff cover.<br>Any pictures of the Electra-locker anywhere?<br>Later, Francois.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>When I get it back next week, I'll post some pics.