• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit Locker Question

freeride376

Loc.
North Ogden
Has anyone seen the Ford 9" Detroit Lockers on EBAY. They are used and come off a NASCAR stock car. Will this work for my bronco? What does H series or B series mean?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
H series only fit gear cases with 3.250 in bearings which usually means it will only fit a aftermarket gear case.. B series fits a 2.891 bearing case which is what most broncos have.

I researched the nascar lockers awhile backat the time I decided it wasnt for me I called trac tech and they said that the nascar lockers are setup differently than the standard lockers in that they will unlock one wheel (left hand I believe) easily.
I've also hear that they only lock up when your on the gas tend to make more noise than a standard detroit. A few people have had issues with them not locking both wheels. but I've also heard that if the preload springs are swapped out it will peform as normal. There have also been people that say they work fine. I'm considering getting one of these cheap ones one of these days myself and swapping to the normal side springs. but you have to consider your getting a part that was used in racing I'm sure it was put through its paces and you dont know what your getting until you get it and try it out.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I run one. They are as noisy as the original "no-spin" (pre-soft locker) Detroit lockers. They are a bit more agressive than the soft locker also. If it is a primarilly trail rig you are good to go. If you are a primarilly street rig, probably should look at spending the extra couple hundred and go with a soft locker. In the middle, you will have to make the call.

As for the locking, mine seems to work just fine both ways. No difference turning left or right, just more agressive on how/when it locks and a bit louder more often when it un-locks. The nost noticable difference is the clack-clack-clack it makes when going around corners.

I would suggest that you specifically ask the Ebay vendor about the locking both ways befor buying. That way if you somhow get one that doesn't, you can at least recover your purchase prince.

Personally, my driving is 50/50. I wish I had spent the extra money on a soft locker, the clack-clack-clack gets old after a while. Someday I will probably sell the whole Nodular case($240)/gear($170)/locker($180) setup for what they cost me ($590) and re-do it.

Amac70

ME
I to run a nascar detroit. and agree it is not the same as the newwer ones in the agressiveness and noise level. no problems with it locking up. serves its purpose but if i ever find the cash it will be replaced by an arb. Also mine came with bearings they looked really good like brand new good been running them also with no problems.

66fora69er

Contributor
I have one as well and the clicking when turning is my only complaint

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I have one. The good news was the low price and it had less than 1000 miles on it. It came from a major team that uses them one race then sells them. They sell a lot of top of the line parts that have been used once. At that level they wont take chances. The bad news was they did not use the blocking rings, which allow the wheel to rotate one revolution before locking back up. That results in it being pretty harsh for the street. I contacted the seller and he sent me the rings, problem solved. It works great IMO. Mine is a 31 spline.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
B series should be 31 spline H series could be anything from 31-40 spline. X2 on asking first.