• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit Locker Question

Bundy

Bronco Guru
When the rear axle is up on jacks and you turn the driver's side wheel the passenger side should turn as well, right?

I just replaced bearings/seals and when I turn the drum by hand it makes a clicking sound and the other wheel doesn't turn, forward or reverse. Somethings wrong eh?

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
That would be desirable as I really hope I didn't mess anything up- maybe I'm just being paranoid?

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
That is correct. If you hold one wheel and spin the other it will lock up both untill the pressure is released.

This ^. The key here is you have to have someone holding the other wheel or on the ground. A spool would spin both wheels all the time.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
When the rear axle is up on jacks and you turn the driver's side wheel the passenger side should turn as well, right?

I just replaced bearings/seals and when I turn the drum by hand it makes a clicking sound and the other wheel doesn't turn, forward or reverse. Somethings wrong eh?
if the driveshaft isn't turning and the diff is clicking while turning one wheel. the diff is disengaging as if you are in a turning (outside wheel turns faster).
while rotating driver's side wheel with trans in neutral allowing driveshaft to turn, the passenger side will turn the same direction with a d-locker.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Lot's of good info on here- thanks guys. Turns out I was just being paranoid as everything went back together and the locker engaged and was just as tempermental to drive as she always is ;D

BroncoBrandon

As a little tip. easy on the gas when you are making sharp turns... Your rear tires will last a little bit longer.