• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit locker? question

661buster1963

I traded some Shop construction work for an early bronco Dana 44. The Dana has a 3.50 open differential but in the various and sundry milk crates that accompanied it was a 4.56 and a 4.88 new ring and pinion gear set and a locker. It appears by what I have seen on the net to be a Detroit locker, though I am no expert on them. I am interested in using this in the front, I have no intentions of driving on the road in snowy conditions that may make a front locker a problem, but I would like to know if this locker is for 3.70 and numerically lower gears or is it for numerically higher than 3.70. The unit has a number in the cast section that appears to be ‘1655’ and letter ‘E’ on the other side. On the machined section has ‘70960’ engraved. There are 8 hex bolts holding it together, and 10 bolt holes for the ring gear. Is this enough info to tell if I will need standard or thick cut gear set to go to 4.56? IE is this a high or low gear set locker?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
dana 44 carrier

The OEM dana 44 carrier split is between 3.73 and 3.92.

The aftermarket has been making "thick" gears for a while.
In 2003, the TJ rubicon with the Tru-Lock broke the pattern.
Since then, there are two functional definitions of "thick" gears, and it causes great confusion. The 4.10 TJ Rubicon Dana 44 gears are "thick" from the factory. So you can use Rubicon Dana 44 4.10 gears with your 3.73 carrier.

The rough distance from a nominally installed bearing on the thrust side of a traditional Low Pinion Dana 44 with the 3.73 and down carrier is ABOUT 2-1/8 inches. The 3.92 and up carrier is ABOUT 2-3/8 inches.

Post a picture, or send one to me at jamesroney@yahoo.com and I can tell you if it is a full case detroit.

Attachments

• d_44.jpg
    d_44.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 52

bronco217

3.92 and numerically higher will be a 187sl16c, mine had it scribed in the case